• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sucker Punch?

RoryN

First Post
My wife and I saw it when it came out and liked it. I didn't think my wife would like it, but she thougt that most of the fight scenes were cool, and she's definitely not a geekish/fangirl person. I have to agree that the train scene is pretty weak compared to the other action sequences, and the ending of it just didn't set well with me for some reason.

It's not a movie I will go out of my way to see again nor will I buy, mainly because I think it's one of those best left to watch in a theater on the huge screen, but if someone gave me the DVD, I wouldn't throw it out.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
It could have been so much more.

In particular, if it were ME doing the movie, I would have eliminated the entire brothel layer of reality as it didn't add anything to the story. You could have freed up some time to explore the other realities a little bit more.

Of course, if it were ME doing the movie, I would have just done a full feature set in the WWI steampunk zombie reality...because that segment was just AWESOME.

Can't wait for Iron Sky!
http://www.ironsky.net/

DS

Bullgrit

Adventurer
This is really strange.

Some of the words and phrases y'all are using to describe parts of this movie totally turn me on. (Yes, in that way :) -- for example, "steampunk zombie" and "WWII bomber versus a dragon."

But your sum verdicts of the overall value warn me off it.

My free time to watch a movie is so rare and precious, and I don't appreciate wasting it on brain junk. It's like you're describing a potential date with a drow priestess -- you'd kinda really want to date her, but you fear you will terribly regret it.

Bullgrit

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Some of the words and phrases y'all are using to describe parts of this movie totally turn me on. (Yes, in that way :) -- for example, "steampunk zombie" and "WWII bomber versus a dragon."
Katana wielding girl in school girl outfit -vs- samurai giant and hip-mounted machine gun. I even enjoyed the robot terrorists on the hovertrain.

The recipe has all the right ingredients. The story that stitches them together is a major point of contention. It didn't bother me, I have lower standards I guess. ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

But your sum verdicts of the overall value warn me off it.

There is a Kids In The Hall skit in which Dave Foley is on a date with a woman who asks him if he finds her attractive. He compares her to a tree, with lovely foliage and gracefully spreading branches, etc., but after all the kudos, he says that, put together, its a damn ugly tree.

Perhaps Sucker Punch is metaphorically that same ugly tree.

Zelda Themelin

First Post
For me, the movie had it's moments. I just went to watch it on whim, I haven't even seen the trailer. It felt a bit boring. I liked beginning, first battle scenario and one with dragon, rest were bit meh. Loved the soundtrack, though. Happy owner of that one.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
I loved the movie. The problem with the movie is that the action sequences dominated the marketing and, because of the downer ending, dominate the experience. Here's the thing:
[sblock]Babydoll does not succeed in her mission to save herself. After sitting through a fantasy (that parallels her experiences, but it's strongly suggested that things don't map the way you think at first) about trying to mentally escape exploitation, she fails to save herself. In fact, she may have made things worse for some people. The very, very end manages to show that maybe some justice will come out of everything that happened, but Babydoll isn't going to benefit from it.[/sblock]Personally, I think it's a lot more than a movie with lots of fanservice.

If your time is that precious, I'd recommend it only if you answer yes to this one question: do you like untangling nested realities? If the answer is no, then all this movie has to offer you is fanservice with a really weird wrapper.

Crothian

First Post
Anyone know if there is commentary on the DVD and what it is like? This movie could have some very interesting things said about it from the people who made it.

Remove ads