• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sultans of Smack

Creamsteak

Explorer
I'm curious if you take over the top 1st level submissions. I found a really quirky way to use a Psychic Warrior to get Mind Blast 3/day at 1st level... which is unique, even if not very 'smackish'... It's way more powerful in 3.5 (using 3.0 psionics) where the sleep spell (comparable) is nerfed.

Jeremy

Explorer
creamsteak said:
I'm curious if you take over the top 1st level submissions. I found a really quirky way to use a Psychic Warrior to get Mind Blast 3/day at 1st level... which is unique, even if not very 'smackish'... It's way more powerful in 3.5 (using 3.0 psionics) where the sleep spell (comparable) is nerfed.
27 PP at 1st level? That'd be a trick. Especially for a psychic warrior. Unless of course that's the one where you make yourself a vegetable to do it. ;)

But yeah. We'll take all your fiendish creativity. :)

Darklone

Jeremy said:
Because that particular spell fires 3 times, thus making it great for the intended purpose. But as with anything that is multiple attacks in a single action it will probably be ruled to sneak attack only on the first of them. But it's still respectable damage, and with trickster levels it'll likely improve. ;)
I pretty positive that you get sneak attack damage to each attack... it's not like Manyshot where you only roll once for all shots.

youspoonybard

First Post
Jeremy -

Is my snake-Druid making too many constricts? If so, can you point me to something that would indicate that?

While it would be cool to actually make a smack-thingy, I'm really just trying to get these rules down...and while people have shown contempt at me for indicating that people trying to get free would be hurt, this build doesn't require that at all...

So if I am taking too many constricts, is there a nice grapple-example/etc that I can look at to see what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.

*edit* - why did I think your name was Jester?

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Ok, this is a smackdown involving that sweetness of sweetnesses, the war hulk.

Since I'm not sure what the smackdown rules actually are (they're not at the head of this thread for instance), forgive me for transgressions. One I'm not sure of is that although this character only has 16 hit dice, the +2 LA makes him a level 18 build... which might be against this thread's rules, right?

Additionally, I let the centaur pick up the mounted combat feats (specifically spirited charge) without the ride skill, or mounted combat. Which is probably a bit iffy. The alternative is to do this with an ogre (same HD, more strength, more reach, so a 20ft radius, less dex, less BAB) mounted on something huge (like an elephant).

Here goes.
Start with a Centaur (4HD, 2LA)

Large size.-1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.

Space/Reach: 10 feet/5 feet.

Racial Hit Dice: A centaur begins with four levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +4, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4.

Racial Feats: A centaur’s monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats.

+3 natural armor bonus.

Special: Centaur's count as mounted for the purpose of using a lance

Stats
S +8 15 23
D +4 12 16
C +4 14 18
I -2 13 12
W +2 8 10
C 10 10

Feats Power Attack, Cleave

Fighter 1
Feat Improved Bull Rush

War Hulk
1st +0 +2 +0 +0 No time to think, ability boost (Str +2), Awesome Blow

Fighter 2 Feat: Ride-by attack

War Hulk
2nd +0 +3 +0 +0 Great swing, ability boost (Str +2), +1 Str
3rd +0 +3 +1 +1 Mighty rock throwing, ability boost (Str +2), Combat Reflexes
4th +0 +4 +1 +1 Mighty swing, ability boost (Str +2)
5th +0 +4 +1 +1 Ability boost (Str +2)
6th +0 +5 +2 +2 Sweeping boulder, ability boost (Str +2), +1 Strength, Improved Overrun
7th +0 +5 +2 +2 Ability boost (Str +2)
8th +0 +6 +2 +2 Massive sweeping boulder, Toughness, ability boost (Str +2)
9th +0 +6 +3 +3 Ability boost (Str +2), Toughness, Spirited Charge
10th +0 +7 +3 +3 Massive swing, Toughness, ability boost (Str +2), +1 Strength

Final - important stats
Strength 46 (+18 to hit and damage)
Con 18 (+4 hp/level)
BAB: +6/+1 (two attacks)
Attack bonus with a lance (+23/+18)
Hp: 3d8 + 2d10 + 10d12 + 72 + 9 (163)

Damage with a lance (1d8+27)
On a charge = 3d8+78

Charges, Uses Massive swing to attack all within 10 feet for 3d8+78 damage. Uses Awesome blow to knock them all back 10 feet, and down to the ground (after all, who can make a dc 70-odd reflex save?), rendering himself immune to retaliatory attacks as creatures would have to stand up (move), then move to him (another move) and are then out of actions. Same thing is done to anyone who charges (using combat reflexes). Next round is another charge.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Saeviomagy said:
Additionally, I let the centaur pick up the mounted combat feats (specifically spirited charge) without the ride skill, or mounted combat. Which is probably a bit iffy.

While I don't have the book, I think it's Races of Faerun that states exactly that - Ride and Mounted Combat are not required for a centaur.

-Hyp.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:
While I don't have the book, I think it's Races of Faerun that states exactly that - Ride and Mounted Combat are not required for a centaur. -Hyp.

Yep, plus the earlier precedent established by the armanite in the Manual of the Planes. I was DMing an Oathbound campaign a while back and one of the PCs was a centaur using the Savage Species rules... unbelievable.

Cheers
D

jabberwocky

First Post
Ok, so this is a 3.5 arcane trickster sneak attack smackdown. I wanted to make an assassin type character who isn't reliant on anyone else for his combos, and can pull off the attack once a day without using any consumable resources (no potions/scrolls/etc.) This is also similar to a couple of existing smacks, but I wanted to update it to 3.5 using almost all SRD material (the polymorph form is from the MM2). This isn't as impressive damage wise as some of the smacks I've seen, but does break the smackdown barrier. I plan on using him as an NPC assassin if a player manages to really piss off someone who could afford this guy.

So, the character:
Tiefling Rogue 3/Wizard 5/Arcane Trickster 7 (ECL 16) (28pt buy)
(notes: Tiefling is important to get the outsider type, so that you can use polymorph to assume other outsider forms.)

Str 10
Dex 14 +2 racial +1 inherent +1 level = 18
Con 15 +1 level = 16
Int 15+2 racial+1 level+6 enhancement = 24
Wis 10
Cha 10 - 2 racial = 8
Average HP: 88
Spells/day: 6/6/6/5/4/4/3
Sneak Attack: 5d6
Feats: Two weapon fighting, Improved two weapon fighting, Quick draw, any three you want to round out the character
Saves: Fort +13/Ref +19/Will +15
Skills: 140 points

Equipment
2 +1 short swords of Spell Storing (16,620 gp)
Amulet of Natural Armor +3 (18,000gp)
Headband of Intellect +4 (16,000gp)
Tome of Quickness of Action +1 (27,500gp)
Boots of Speed (12,000 gp)
Pale Green Ioun Stone (30,000 gp) (+1 competence attacks/save/skills/ability checks)
Ring of Protection +3 (18,000 gp)
Rod of Quickening (75,500 gp)
Cloak of Resistance +4 (16,000)
Total: 229,620 gp

Previous Preparation
Greater Magic Weapon on both short swords
Mage Armor on self
Contingent Polymorph:Kelvezu with the casting of Transformation as the trigger.
Nondetection

Surprise Round:
Cast Greater Invisibility
Cast quickened Disintegrate - ranged touch +11 24d6+5d6 sneak attack (Avg 101.5)

Next Round:
Activate Boots of Speed - Free Action
Cast quickened Transformation - Free Action
Contingent Polymorph:Kelvezu (Assassin Demons from MM2) goes off - Free Action
Drop Rod of Quickening - Free Action

New Stats
Str: 24 Dex 36 Con: 20
Average HP: 118
AC: 10, +18 Natural, +13 Dex, +3 Deflection, +4 Armor, +1 Haste = 49
Saves: Fort +15/Ref +28/Will +15
Sneak Attack: 13d6
Attack Bonus: BAB +15, Dex +13, Two Weapon -2, Haste +1, Enhancement +3, Competence +1 = +31
Full Attack : +31/+31/+31/+26/+26/+21
+31 1d6+10+13d6+6d6(vampiric touch)
+31 1d6+6+13d6+6d6(vampiric touch)
+31 1d6+10+13d6
+26 1d6+10+13d6
+26 1d6+6+13d6
+21 1d6+10+13d6

If everything hits, thats 96d6+52, or an average of 388 damage, with an average of 21 temporary hit points gained (assuming temp hit points dont stack). Maximum damage is 628.

After the first round, provided he can keep up sneak attacks (probably by invisibility) the damage drops to 84d6+26, or an average of 310 damage a round. Even if he only hits with his primary three attacks, thats 215 damage in the first round, dropping to 173 per round afterwards. And he can keep this up for ten rounds.

Depending on how the Kelvezu poison ability works on their weapons (whether or not it happens automatically), there's also a DC 22 Fort save for 1d6 con damage with each hit. Also depending on how the ruling goes on the gaining subtype clause of polymorph, you may get immunity to poison and electricity, acid/cold/fire resistance 10, and telepathy.

The character is somewhat weak on hit points, but has a great AC and decent saves, plus full concealment. He's also used a large portion of his spell power to pull this off, but still has all his 5th level spells, and a decent selection of lower level spells to use. If you want to do more damage, you can swap out the ioun stone and get the wounding ability added to each short sword for an additional possible six Constitution damage each round (this makes total equipment cost 247,620).

This strategy is totally useless against creatures immune to sneak attack, in which case he's better off throwing blasting spells - scorching ray, cone of cold, etc. The rod of quickening helps him in a spell assault as well, though he probably won't break the smack barrier. But with sufficient information (which he should be able to get through divinations), he can tailor his assault to his target.

Hope you all like it! And if anyone has suggestions on how to improve the character, or sees mistakes I made, let me know!

edit: changed wizard 3 to 5, and Arcane Trickster to 7, as it was pointed out that I made a really stupid mistake. :) Fixed Sneak Attack and final damage outputs.

Last edited:

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
jabberwocky said:
So, the character:
Tiefling Rogue 3/Wizard 3/Arcane Trickster 9 (ECL 16) (28pt buy)

Arcane Trickster has as a requirement "Ability to cast mage hand and at least one arcane spell of 3rd level or higher." Wizard 3 cannot cast 3rd level arcane spells, and so cannot become an Arcane Trickster. You need Wizard 5.

Cool build though. Sounds nasty.

-z

Remove ads