(Suspended) OOC The Thirteenth Moon, a Story-Driven Campaign (D&D 3.5 Eberron)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
@airwalkrr - I've been giving this character more thought, and the more I think about it, I may prefer to be a Cleric of the Silver Flame rather than a Paladin.

To that end, I would like to ask if you would permit the Clostered Cleric option as offered in the Unearthed Arcana alt ruleset? This Cleric would be more knoweldge focused than the standard Cleric, and would (imo) be a better fit with the other book learnin' folks.

If not, I may yet enjoy being a Paladin. I've read more about them in the context of Eberron and maybe they're not so bad.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I don't think of Eberron as having a lot of cloistered clerics. The most common priests are experts and adepts, whereas clerics and paladins represent the templar of their churches. I am also getting to the point where I feel the cloistered cleric was just too good. I have received more requests to play that variant of the cleric class than I have all other variant classes combined in recent years. I am okay with the extra spells and the lore ability. But six skill points per level and a free knowledge domain seems a bit much. The alleged drawback of losing medium and heavy armor proficiency along with a lower HD and BAB doesn't change the fact that cloistered clerics still get spells like divine favor, divine power, righteous might, spiritual weapon, flame strike, and so on. If the focus of the character is on divination, skills and information gathering I think the character should lose more of that fighting versatility than just BAB, HD and armor. A clerics most powerful offensive weapon is his spells after all.

If you want to go the cloistered cleric route, let's work out something a bit different. Perhaps if you were willing to sacrifice some of the offensive cleric spells as well we could start talking there.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
[MENTION=12460]airwalkrr[/MENTION]: I'm not worried about it. I'm tired of waffling on character choice, so I shall choose the standard Cleric class and go with that. Paladins are a little too... Paladin-y... and I can be Lawful Neutral and still serve the Church. Plus, we already have a Fighter on the team, and I couldn't help but notice how similar my Paladin was to him.

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
A log entry, prior to the arrival of the Blood Moon:

New Year's Eve. Time when all races and classes of people gather together to celebrate in good cheer. Also, best time for lawbreakers and evil to strike. Perhaps it is this night that duty is fulfilled to the Silver Flame and citizens of Sharn are protected from horrors that creep from darkness.

Wonders what wine tastes like. Elves seem to enjoy wine best. Humans tend to lose control of bodies and allow spirits to fly unhindered. Unchecked. Place selfs in dangerous state. Must ensure that partygoers are safe.

Blood of Vol are likely waiting in City of Dead, yet assignment lies with crowd control.

Do not understand why assignment is not at source of greatest evil.

Do not understand how "Wine, Women and Warforged" are related.

Vigil will watch, as Vigil serves the Light.

Vigil is up in the Rogues' Gallery.

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Alise is sorting through her clothes to see what she has that is nice enough to wear to a citywide party, as she doesn't really have expensive clothes.

kinem

Adventurer
For the New Year's celebration, Brad will go as the human man known as Brad Dent. He'll wear his usual black outfit and of course his greatsword.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Still have a couple of mentors to work out and then we will be good to go. The way things are shaping up, I think I will have everyone begin the in character thread at the Golden Horn. We already have some links there and I think I can come up with some good reasons for the other characters to be there as well.

25 xp to Herobizkit for his journal entry. Very warforgeyand stoic. I think the Silver Flame bit will fit perfectly.

Be sure to joIn the campaign manager invite if you haven't already. I will be working on the last of the NPC mentors within the next week.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Here is the fourth of the NPC mentors, Hanamelk, a male kalashtar who serves as the resident scholar and sage of The Gathering Light, a large hall in the Overlook district of Upper Dura that serves as a school for kalashtar martial arts and meditation techniques. Hanamelk is the mentor for Alise, played by [MENTION=33]DarwinofMind[/MENTION]. When Alise struck out on her own, she was seeking guidance on developing her psionic abilities, and unfortunately, the Cyran community in High Walls where she had the most social ties lacked a substantial number of psychics. So she sought it out the only place she knew where, The Gathering Light. She is enrolled for the Spring semester in a meditation class that is being taught by Hanamelk and is restricted to those who have demonstrated psionic powers. She is there on a scholarship funded by the Path of Light Foundation, which she knows very little about, but seems to be a kalashtar religious foundation that seeks to broaden the horizons of gifted psychics of limited means. Her interview for the scholarship was conducted by Hanamelk himself and he has served as a kind of guide for life since this recent event. When classes begin the second week of Zarantyr, Alise will be required to attend class three days a week for three hours each day. For the most part we will gloss over the details of exactly WHEN this is going on so as not to conflict with adventuring, but Alise will not have the luxury of disappearing from the city for a week without missing classes, which would forfeit her scholarship. Bear in mind the idea behind this is to tie your character to the city and build up relationships with it to encourage role-playing tied to the city, not to needlessly constrain your character. When and if Alise decides she has outgrown the school and what it can teach, she can feel free to leave. However, if she continues to study, she will progressively gain better bonuses to some skill checks in certain situations and will eventually obtain a degree in Psionic Meditation.

As a mentor, Hanamelk will be able to help Alise train when she is ready to level up or re-train when she decides she would like to learn new abilities. Hanamelk is also willing to advise Dorius on personal matters and use his contacts within the kalashtar and psychic community to provide Alise with information and services. As a gifted seer himself, Hanamelk may also occasionally offer to use his own powers to assist Alise with truly troubling questions and problems.

Alise has no particular job at the moment aside from being a student. Her living expenses are not covered by the scholarship however, so she is forced to do odd jobs from time to time. Often, this has meant serving as a student worker at the Gathering of Light, helping to set up or break down in between the conversion of the hall from a martial arts training room to a meditation center, which happens on a daily basis. She may roll Profession (laborer) checks to earn money on a daily or weekly basis at the Gathering of Light, but is expected to work at least two days a week to keep her job. The position is flexible in the hours she may work however.

Additionally, Alise has friends and family in the High Walls community where many Cyran refugees live. Any of them are willing to pay her a fair wage via the Profession (laborer) skill, but only on a daily basis. While her help and assistance is appreciated there, the High Walls community recognizes that Alise has grander things planned for her life than helping fix up apartments or fill in as a clerk for a dry goods shop.

Vigil will be last to receive a mentor and then we will have the foundation for our characters. I guess we'll be starting with five. I am okay with that, especially since there is always the possibility someone will have to drop.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I am trying to think of a good reason for Alise to be at the Golden Horn on New Year's Eve and some possible connections she might have to the other players so that she might have at least met them in passing before. [MENTION=33]DarwinofMind[/MENTION], do you have any ideas?

Remove ads