(Suspended) OOC The Thirteenth Moon, a Story-Driven Campaign (D&D 3.5 Eberron)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Great letter, pneumatik! I am glad to see you guys are really getting into the development of character background. Here is a reply from Karr'Aashta:

Dear Berrent d'Orien,

I am pleased to hear about your interest in a career with my investigations company. I am always on the lookout for new talent. I have an opening for an appointment on the 9th of Zarantyr at 10 o'clock in the morning. Please come by my establishment at that time for an interview. I look forward to our meeting.

Karr'Aashta
Karr'aashta's Investigations

25 xp for pneumatik!

And to answer DarwinofMind, we are beginning on Zarantyr 1, 998 YK.

Herobizkit, go ahead and write up a character. At the very least we can have you as a minor recurring character.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Gonna see if I can get Brad's mentor done today. And Herobizkit, I like your character concept. It's a little unusual, but we can definitely work with it. It would be good to start with how your character came to be associated with the Silver Flame. Was he a warforged serving Thrane in the Last War or is he one of the younger warforged who never saw much combat and choose to follow the Flame after his freedom was granted?

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
[MENTION=12460]airwalkrr[/MENTION], I had a really odd thought regarding my character, but I'm not sure if I could integrate it. Since this character will be bred for combat in a generally combat-free area, most of his time he'd be spent working at a desk. In fact, I almost see him as a fantasy disgruntled cop who itches for action but is always assigned to walk the beat, file reports, and generally have his time wasted... but since he's a Warforged who doesn't sleep... he's especially disgruntled.

Despite his impressive countenance and ability, he is still a 'kid' on the force and is treated as such by most of the team. Rather than have the impatience of youth, he has the older "I've seen it all, there's nothing more to see" attitude... until something new appears on the horizon.

Prior to his assignment, I would expect this character to be a younger one who has not seen much combat, though he has heard many stories. When he heard about the Silver Flame and how they scour the world smiting evil and such, he thought they would be an excellent fit for his already strong sense of morality and justice.

His primary motivation is to promote peace between races and to help his brethren 'Forged integrate into regular society.

I'm not 100% that a Paladin would be the BEST class choice, or perhaps the Silver Flame seems a bit TOO militant for my liking... I'm going to poke around and see if I can find a less "in-your-face" traditional SMAHS TEH EVILS Paladin sect.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Starting work on Brad's mentor now. Sorry, I have been busy the last week.

[MENTION=36150]Herobizkit[/MENTION], that seems like a reasonable background for your character. It is certainly unorthodox, but it will open up a lot of roleplaying possibilities as the Church of the Silver Flame is highly influential in Sharn. And combat won't be unheard of. But the idea behind this campaign is to seek roleplaying solutions to things as opposed to the traditional D&D approach of bashing the door down and killing the monsters. When there is combat, I am hoping to make combats short and sweet. So a character always itching for a fight might not fit very well unless he has some good reasons to fight these urges. Your character's motivation for building peace seems like a good one.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Lol I know that "unorthodox" is the DM's polite word for "bat-crap crazy and I'd never run it in 100 years".

... but if you and the other players are good with it, I'll run with it. I know that Paladins have a terrible stigma surrounding them and if the players plan on using shady tactics... well, no one wants a Paladin around for that.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Here is the third of the NPC mentors, Iyanna ir'Talan, a female human who is in charge of the Black Arch Garrison of the Sharn Watch based in Lower Tavick's Landing. Iyanna is known as the daughter of the Lord Commander of the Sharn Watch and aside from this, she has a reputation as being perhaps the only commander with a true interest in helping the people. Over the last two years she has fought to purge the corruption of the Black Arch Watch, and she has had some success. When Brad Dent decided to go legit, he abandoned his ties to the criminal organization of shapeshifters known as the Tyrants and spoke with the Black Arch Watch commander about a possible position. It will be up to [MENTION=24234]kinem[/MENTION] whether or not he wishes to put in a formal application for membership in the Black Arch Garrison.

As a mentor, Iyanna will be able to help Brad train when he is ready to level up or re-train when he decides he would like to learn new abilities. Iyanna is also willing to advise Berrent on personal matters and offer him patrol work as an unofficial member or official work (should he choose to apply) as a full-fledged member of the Sharn Watch. As a commander of the Sharn Watch, Iyanna is well-informed on criminal goings-on in her district and may have information on criminal investigations and criminal activity. Patrol work will usually involve solving a minor domestic dispute or criminal case and also grant a small amount of XP. The pay isn't very good, but it is honest work. Brad can make a Profession (law-enforcement) check to earn half his result in SP for a day's work or half his result in GP for a week's work.

In Brad's persona as the half-orc, Bront, he has found a weekend night (Farday and Sarday, the Eberron equivalent of Friday and Saturday) work as a bouncer for the Golden Horn, an upscale inn in the University District of Upper Menthis. The proprietor, Mandyran, usually pays a decent wage (double the usual amount for a day's work on a Profession (bouncer) check, or the Profession check result in SP, not divided in half) for the work, which includes two eight-hour shifts from 6 PM to 2 AM on both days. Bront is expected to work at least six shifts a month to keep his job, although Mandyran allows Bront flexibility to choose these shifts and is willing to let him work all eight shifts if he desires. It is possible that Brad met with Dorius while working at the Golden Horn.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I am all for unorthodox. It keeps things fun and interesting. So long as you follow the paladin code, you won't have any real problems. The other players don't need to worry about it quite so much since sometimes you won't all be in the same place at the same time. And in Eberron, alignment is fairly grey. You'll also find that the most important NPCs have ways of preventing you from knowing their alignments. In a city as full of intrigue as Sharn, it is often useful to shield yourself from divination. I am willing to even bend the paladin code a bit, given the nature of Eberron. After all, there are no alignment restrictions to following deities. There are many higher-ups in the churches of both the Silver Flame and the Soveriegn Host who are evil and yet follow church doctrine, at least the letter of the law.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I have set up a campaign on the ENworld campaign manager and sent everyone an invite. I didn't send Ravyn an invite since I haven't seen him for a while. We'll see if he pops back in. Otherwise, I am going to assume he lost interest.

kinem

Adventurer
Sounds good, airwalkrr. Brad will put in the garrison application. He wants to go into a more lucrative career as a private inquisitive, but could use some related experience in the Watch.

Remove ads