• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tales of the Eldeen Reaches: The first night : a lot of questions & skill checks

Ferrix

Explorer
Man I had a busy day, guess developing Umbra will be quite an interesting time with the cast we've got going so far. I was thinking maybe taking a warlock level or two when he gains a level.

More fleshing to come.

Bront

The man with the probe
FYI - Dr Zombie, I'll willingly bow into an Alternate roll if it's an issue. Looks like there's a few games starting up, and I am realy looking for a spot in one (well, one and the one I'm hoping to join that Ferrix has my mute for). I'll still finish him up, and play if you want, but I don't need to be a primary for more than one more.

Hopefully that may help you clear things up :)

Prof Yeti

First Post
Wow I have read my characters backstory and lack of concept and have to say "Sorry Dr. Z" :eek: .

I did it between classes and it is abysmal. I never would have accepted it from my students. I will clean it up when things get a little more under hand. (classes just started this week. :heh: )

Ozmar

First Post
Silver Stats...

[sblock]
Silver
Female Shifter Barbarian 1
Medium Humanoid
Alignment: Neutral Good
Region: Eldeen Reaches
Height: 4’7"
Weight: 100 lbs.
Hair: Brown/White
Eyes: Brown

Abilities
Str: 12 (+1)
Dex: 14 (+2)
Con: 16 (+3)
Int: 10 (+0)
Wis: 14 (+2)
Cha: 14 (+2)

Class and Racial Abilities:
+2 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Cha, Low-Light Vision, +2 racial Balance, Climb, Jump.
Dreamsight trait: +2 Wis, speak with animals, lasts 3+Con rds; +2 Handle Animal and wild empathy

Hit Dice: 1d12
HP: 15
AP: 5
AC: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 armor)
Init: +2 (+2 Dex)
Speed: 30ft

Saves:
Fortitude +5 [+2 base, +3 Con]
Reflex +2 [+0 base, +2 Dex]
Will +2 [+0 base, +2 Wis]

BAB: +1
Melee Atk: +2 silver battleaxe 1d8 dmg (x3 crit)
Ranged Atk: none

Skills:
Balance: 4 (0 ranks)
Climb: 4 (1 rank)
Handle Animal: 8 (4 ranks)
Jump: 4 (1 rank)
Listen: 4 (2 ranks)
Survival: 6 (4 ranks)
Swim: 3 (2 ranks)
Know (Nature): 1 (1 rank, cross-class)

Feats:
Extra Rage (rage 3/day, +4 Str/Con, -2 AC, +2 Will, lasts 3+Con rounds)

Languages: Common

Equipment:
Silver battleaxe (100gp)
leather armor (10gp)
[/sblock]

Bront

The man with the probe
Ozmar, just a thought, reading the background of the shifters, I got the impression Silver is probably not a very appropriate name for one. Nick name, maybe, but not a normal name. It'd be like naming your daughter "Killer" or "Sloth" (Similar examples, not exact translations).

Ferrix

Explorer
Umbra
Chaotic Neutral Shifter Rogue 1
[sblock]
Height: 5’6”
Weight: 155lb.
Eyes: Golden-Green
Hair: Black
Skin: Dark Coffee

STR: 14 [+2] (6 points)
DEX: 16 [+3] (6 points, +2 race)
CON: 14 [+2] (6 points)
INT: 12 [+1] (6 points, -2 race)
WIS: 14 [+2] (6 points)
CHA: 12 [+1] (6 points, -2 race)

Hit Dice: 1d6 + 2
HP: 8
Action Points: XX
Armor Class: 10 (10 base + 3 Dex + X Armor)
Initiative: +3
BAB: +0
- Melee: +2
- Ranged: +3

Speed: 30’

FORT: +2 (0 Base + 2 Con)
REFL: +5 (2 Base + 3 Dex)
WILL: +2 (0 Base + 2 Wis)

Abilities:
- Shifter Trait: Longtooth
- Low-light Vision
- +2 racial bonus on Balance, Climb and Jump checks
- Sneak Attack +1d6
- Trapfinding

Feats:
1st Level
- Longtooth Elite

Skills:
Use Magic Device +5 (4 ranks, +1 Cha)
Hide +7 (4 ranks, +3 Dex)
Move Silently +7 (4 ranks, +3 Dex)
Search +5 (4 ranks, +1 Int)
Disable Device +5 (4 ranks, +1 Int)
Tumble +7 (4 ranks, +3 Dex)
Spot +5 (3 ranks, +2 Wis)
Listen +5 (3 ranks, +2 Wis)
Jump +6 (2 ranks, +2 Str, +2 Race)
Balance +7 (2 ranks, +3 Dex, +2 Race)
Craft (Traps) +3 (2 ranks, +1 Int)

Languages:
- Common, Orc

Equipment:
Melee weapons
-Name Weapon +X (XdX+X, 20/x2) Description (gp, lb)
-Longtooth Bite +2 (1d6+2+1 Con, 20/x2)

Ranged weapons
-Name Weapon +X (XdX+X, 20/x2, ft.) Description (gp, lb)

Miscellaneous Magical or Psionic Items
-Name (gp, lb)

Potions or Psionic Tattoos
-Type (gp)

Wands, Staffs or Dorjes
-Type (XX/50chg) (gp, 1oz)

Scrolls or Power Stones
-Type (gp)

Mundane equipment
-Adventurer’s Outfit (gp, 8lb)

Weight Carried: lb
Remain money: gp

Description
With dark coffee colored skin and sleek black hair which is tied into an array of thin braids, his two golden green eyes seem to almost glow. With the strong jaw structure and facial features of a jaguar, his crouched stance and entrancing eyes nearly convinces you that what really stands before you is more beast than man.

Personality
Umbra is like the shadows, the shifters of his tribe whisper that he has the mark of the traveler in his eyes. Perhaps it is true, perhaps not, but Umbra's talent amongst the shadows is unmatched by all but the most skilled of runners. To himself however, Umbra hears the whispers of his tribe and feels disheartened by their distrust, yet there lurks a darkness in his soul that whispers in his dreams when the hidden moon is said to rise.

Even his name betrays that something lurks within the darkest reaches of his own shadow, a name he chose for himself, as if it had come to him out of the whispers.

He heartens to prove to himself that the darkness within does not hold sway, that he will give honor to his tribe, this trip with the druid Scarfang gives him that opportunity.

Background

- Who are your parents?
Lee-shan and Myra
- What do they do.
Lee-shan is a hunter for the tribe, a proper ranger. Myra is a tanner and leatherworker, working hides into useable leather equipment.
- Are they still alive
Yes, neither are even forty years of age.
- Do you have uncles or aunts.
He has a pair of aunts and an uncle on his fathers side, and four uncles on his mothers side.
- What do they do, where do they live.
All on his fathers side serve as hunters, it being their family tradition. While those on his mothers side are more varied, with a druid, a farmer, and two adventurers who’ve struck out on their own.
- Do you have brothers, sisters? Older or younger?
A younger sister named Shyri, about three years younger.
- Nephews, nieces?
No nieces or nephews, although he does have some cousins on his fathers side.
- Are you related to the other PC's?
Potentially
- Who taught you what you know?
A bit from his father, but his uncle who has now gone adventuring with his other uncle taught him a great deal of the more eccentric skills he knows (Use Magic Device, Disable Device, etc.)
- How did the war affect the people you know?
[/sblock]

Work in progress.

Ozmar

First Post
Bront said:
Ozmar, just a thought, reading the background of the shifters, I got the impression Silver is probably not a very appropriate name for one. Nick name, maybe, but not a normal name. It'd be like naming your daughter "Killer" or "Sloth" (Similar examples, not exact translations).

Of course, you're exactly right. Her given name is Palai, but she chose the name "Silver" for multiple reasons. It probably does cause some discomfort among other shifters, but that doesn't bother her. There certainly is a dangerous aspect to her character (she did, however justly, murder her uncle after all...)

So in this case, it's more like an itinerant barbarian teen with an axe who comes to town and tells everyone that her name is "killer". It was probably presumptuous bravado at first, but it has stuck, since no one had anything else to call her...

Ozmar the Shifter Psychoanalyst

Ozmar

First Post
Bront said:
Ahh, didn't know the backstory, wanted to make sure it was intentional.

Yep, it was intentional. Thanks. :)

I tend to find characters with good and bad traits a little more complex and fun to play - they also feel more real to me.

Ozmar the Conflicted Gamer

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Egads! 36 point buy... not 32! Well! Let me go back in and change my stats then.

I was wondering why it seemed like everyone had much higher stats than me. Now I know! :D

Remove ads