Black Flag Tales of the Valiant - Goblin Lineage

Elodan

Adventurer
Not sure if this will be in the Core book as the heritages seem more Midgard focused.

I'm liking what I'm seeing here. Also, I have to say that I really like Kobold Press's art.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wish we 5E variant publishers could have agreed with on terminology. The non-DnD movement could have been strengthened by that but I feel it is being fractured, which firmly benefits WotC. We’re all using a group of 3-4 terms to describe character origins but using the same terms to describe different parts of the character. Level Up’s heritage is Black Flag’s lineage and Black Flag’s heritage is Level Up’s culture.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I wish we 5E variant publishers could have agreed with on terminology. The non-DnD movement could have been strengthened by that but I feel it is being fractured, which firmly benefits WotC. We’re all using a group of 3-4 terms to describe character origins but using the same terms to describe different parts of the character. Level Up’s heritage is Black Flag’s lineage and Black Flag’s heritage is Level Up’s culture.
A guidance doc that says when Publisher A says Y that is Z in Publisher B's system would be rather helpful

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I had the same thought....

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
This is one thing I said back in another thread here.

The lack of uniformity in terminology at the least between publishers causes confusion.

That's even before getting to mechanics or modulation.

I mean what if someone designed a 3 part 5e species system with heritage, lineage, AND culture.

---

As for the Goblins.
Looks cool.
Doesn't feel gobliny.

jgsugden

Legend
I wish we 5E variant publishers could have agreed with on terminology. The non-DnD movement could have been strengthened by that but I feel it is being fractured, which firmly benefits WotC...
I would quibble with the idea that splitting the community into several different games benefits WotC. While the haphazard and confusing misalignment between the competitors gives WotC a competitive advantage against them, I'm sure they'd much rather not having sections of the community shifting to ToV, DH, PF, or other competitors.

I'm betting what we'll end up seeing is a small following for each non-D&D rules set over the next few years and a huge number of books/pdfs/etc... that are bought for rules systems that don't get played enough to warrant the costs. However, I also see people wandering off from the hobby as they find the 2024 to 2026 era confusing and frustrating with members of their playgroup disagreeing in the short term on which system and approach to take - and then struggling through the frustrations of a new rule set... with the 'grass is greener' idea that switching to a different rule set might be better...

Remove ads