Black Flag Tales of the Valiant - Goblin Lineage

mamba

Legend
I’m not sure what C7 is doing. Anyone know?
haven't seen anything since the announcement, they seem to try their hardest to not show anything. First Uncharted Journeys, then A Life Well Lived and now some crafting books on KS. Maybe they hope we forget about their announcement again ;)

Remathilis

Legend
I wish we 5E variant publishers could have agreed with on terminology. The non-DnD movement could have been strengthened by that but I feel it is being fractured, which firmly benefits WotC. We’re all using a group of 3-4 terms to describe character origins but using the same terms to describe different parts of the character. Level Up’s heritage is Black Flag’s lineage and Black Flag’s heritage is Level Up’s culture.

This has been my biggest concern with the post-OGL movement; everyone is reinventing the wheel. Specifically in the attempts to move away from D&D-derived terminology (and especially in avoiding Race as a term, with no agreed upon replacement). What I really fear is that as publishers attempt to differentiate themselves from each other (and from D&D) they will pull apart any compatibility between them and silo player into using their specific brew (and 3pp designed for it).

Zaukrie

New Publisher
This has been my biggest concern with the post-OGL movement; everyone is reinventing the wheel. Specifically in the attempts to move away from D&D-derived terminology (and especially in avoiding Race as a term, with no agreed upon replacement). What I really fear is that as publishers attempt to differentiate themselves from each other (and from D&D) they will pull apart any compatibility between them and silo player into using their specific brew (and 3pp designed for it).
I don't know, ToV is clearly compatible with 5e. Level up is definitely a different rule set, though, but it can be used with 5e monsters and adventures, but there is a lot going on for PCs that make it different. How many 5e clones are there, really?

Waller

Legend
I don't know, ToV is clearly compatible with 5e. Level up is definitely a different rule set, though, but it can be used with 5e monsters and adventures, but there is a lot going on for PCs that make it different. How many 5e clones are there, really?
You're confusing the words 'compatible' and 'identical'. How is Level Up not compatible with 5E? I can't think of a single thing in Level Up which can't be used in a 5E game, or vice versa. Every new class, archetype, spell, rule--it's all 5E compatible. It uses the 5E rules. Unless you're saying Tasha's Cauldron isn't compatible with 5E. Or if new 5E classes makes it incompatible, then Eberron isn't compatible with 5E because it has the artificer... and D&D 2024 definitely isn't because those classes are different too.

Nah, Level Up is fully compatible with 5E. It's not identical to 5E. (it's better)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
You're confusing the words 'compatible' and 'identical'. How is Level Up not compatible with 5E? I can't think of a single thing in Level Up which can't be used in a 5E game, or vice versa. Every new class, archetype, spell, rule--it's all 5E compatible. It uses the 5E rules. Unless you're saying Tasha's Cauldron isn't compatible with 5E. Or if new 5E classes makes it incompatible, then Eberron isn't compatible with 5E because it has the artificer... and D&D 2024 definitely isn't because those classes are different too.

Nah, Level Up is fully compatible with 5E. It's not identical to 5E. (it's better)
Nm.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
And Level Up’s heritage is Black Flag’s lineage.

I’m not sure what C7 is doing. Anyone know?

For A Life Well Lived:
Race becomes Lineage.

But the system sort of rolls race and background into a more detailed Lifepath to determine your starting attributes, skills and abilities, on top of which you layer your class. Lineage is simpler than what we know as the race/subrace system of 5E, because elements are moved out into later parts of the lifepath.

Cheers,
Merric

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
For A Life Well Lived:
Race becomes Lineage.

But the system sort of rolls race and background into a more detailed Lifepath to determine your starting attributes, skills and abilities, on top of which you layer your class. Lineage is simpler than what we know as the race/subrace system of 5E, because elements are moved out into later parts of the lifepath.

Cheers,
Merric
I need to get this when it's available to non-backers

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I need to get this when it's available to non-backers
It's looking very promising. It's the expanded list of downtime abilities (61 of them) that truly caught my attention.

I've been using Uncharted Journeys quite a bit. It's not perfect - requires a fair deal of modification to function well in my games - but it gets me most of the way there.

Cheers,
Merric

Remove ads