• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tempest Cleric stat advice

stuffnsuch

Explorer
Hi there

I have a level 1 High Elf (+2 DEX, +1 INT) Tempest Cleric who has only had one game so far and I'd like some help with his stats.
By rearranging my original Point Buy I've realised I can get +2 INT at the cost of -1 CON

With point buy I had gone for:
9, 16, 15, 10, 15, 8 which with the first ASI will become 9, 16, 16, 10, 16, 8
but now i'm thinking i should have gone with :
8, 16, 14, 13, 15, 8 which with the first ASI will become 8, 16, 14, 14, 16, 8

Reducing his CON from +3 to +2 affects his HP, saving throw, and obviously, his spell concentration...is it is worth the +2 to all the INT abilities and saving throw?

RP: He was a middling student in an academic High Elf society with an inventive curious spirit who got caught up in an invasion of his town (haven't we all?) He gathered together a small military insurgency and used his engineering skills to harness natural lightning against his enemy...which caught the attention of a god who brought him to the Tempest Domain.
So RP wise there's an argument to made either way

Party = me, Rogue, Warlock, Barb but unsure of subclasses as we're level 1

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
Hi there

I have a level 1 High Elf (+2 DEX, +1 INT) Tempest Cleric who has only had one game so far and I'd like some help with his stats.
By rearranging my original Point Buy I've realised I can get +2 INT at the cost of -1 CON

With point buy I had gone for:
9, 16, 15, 10, 15, 8 which with the first ASI will become 9, 16, 16, 10, 16, 8
but now i'm thinking i should have gone with :
8, 16, 14, 13, 15, 8 which with the first ASI will become 8, 16, 14, 14, 16, 8

Reducing his CON from +3 to +2 affects his HP, saving throw, and obviously, his spell concentration...is it is worth the +2 to all the INT abilities and saving throw?

RP: He was a middling student in an academic High Elf society with an inventive curious spirit who got caught up in an invasion of his town (haven't we all?) He gathered together a small military insurgency and used his engineering skills to harness natural lightning against his enemy...which caught the attention of a god who brought him to the Tempest Domain.
So RP wise there's an argument to made either way

Party = me, Rogue, Warlock, Barb but unsure of subclasses as we're level 1

It's more well-rounded, and looks like it will help the party, since none of them may have a decent Int.

And I find a +2 Con is just fine for hit points and everything else.

cmad1977

Hero
If you’re taking intelligence skills I’d go for it. I’m not sure how many abilities key off of intelligence.

In my case: One of the players in that game is a tempest cleric.
He went with the default WOTC pregen which has a decent strength and con while having a crap dex. You are allowed heavy armor so you could go that way. When he saw the alert feat it fixed a lot of his dex problem. Saves still kinda stink but initiative is pretty good.

Which isn’t me saying ‘build dis way noob!!’
There just may be different ways to jigger your numbers for the intelligence boost if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTurbo

Explorer
I like my Tempest Clerics to be strong, tough, and have heavy armor. A case could be made for a Dex Tempest though. Dex is such a strong overall stat. Having a 14 in Con is fine but I'm not sure having a 14 in Int would be beneficial for anything. I'd actually rather have a 14 in Char and a 8 in Int(or 9+1). If your DM cares about encumbrance, you're going to hate having a 8 in Str.

Stalker0

Legend
By default, int is pretty worthless to a cleric (unfortunately it is useless to most classes, I consider int the most common dump stat in 5e).

Int saves are also so incredibly rare it's not worth thinking about.

But if you take skills and feats thst focus on int, than absolutely go for it

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think it is worth shifting the stats around to get some better intelligence, especially if it fits your background. You won't notice much in toughness with a +2 Con modifier instead of a +3.

Sacrosanct

Legend
As others have said, it really depends on what you want and if you have INT skills. I have a tempest cleric and was on the front line with the fighters. So CON would have been my choice. Especially concentration saves.

As a high elf you get a wizard cantrip. They depend on int. At least they may depend on int.

Thunderclap is a nice one for a tempest cleric. You might want that.
Or you might want booming blade where it does not matter how much int you have. Lightning lasso is also flavourful.

So as other's have said: depends on your preference. I personally on a tempest cleric would opt for +2int.
I might even ask myself If I really need 16 dex. I might swap strength and dex. Being able to use a long sword and wear heavy armor is worth more than +1 to hit. A shield prohibits the use of a bow quite well. You might rather use your wizard cantrip for ranged damage.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Int is generally not that fantastically efficient for a cleric. HOWEVER, the Shocking Grasp cantrip (if taken from High Elf) combos quite nicely with the Thunderbolt Strike ability; and Int can partly offset the fact that it uses what is almost certainly a secondary stat for you. That said, success at concentration checks is usually quite important for a cleric whereas int saves are rare (though nice to have if you ever meet a Mindflayer).

Last edited:

Remove ads