The apocalypse on 2012?

The end of everything I believe is a tad exaggerated. But there are new cycles.

2012 may begin the Cycle of the Rising Waters (global warming vs polar caps) or something of the such.

Also, (now I will be stoned and kicked) the aliens /dimensional beings that showed them the ability to track the stars and the signifigance of it may be returning then as part of the new age / cycle.

As for Michael Nostradamus' predictions.... they are interpertations of something purposely hidden so as to avoid having his head removed and branded a warlock by the queen. He saw stuff but couldn't explain much of it and had to hid other parts of it.

There is lots of crazy stuff out there but folks would rather ignore / disbelieve it than acknowledge it.

....and yes. I am crazy but not because I believe in this kinda stuff.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
palleomortis said:
Now now, I'm SURE that's not what he meant. Let me clarify. Shadowrun is NOT older than the Mayans. It just so happens that it was origionally invented around that time, and the whole "end of the earth" thing just kinda fit in as a cool game setting.

All I know is that if I do turn into something in 2012, I'd better darn well turn into a dwarf.

Brad

Rackhir

Explorer
megamania said:
As for Michael Nostradamus' predictions.... they are interpertations of something purposely hidden so as to avoid having his head removed and branded a warlock by the queen. He saw stuff but couldn't explain much of it and had to hid other parts of it.

There is lots of crazy stuff out there but folks would rather ignore / disbelieve it than acknowledge it.

Nice try, but he could have written for example.

"Bill Gates of Seattle will dominate the WWW by forcing Windows onto IBM." Which would have been as totally cryptic and meaningless to anyone at the time he wrote it as any quatrain he wrote, while still being a clear and accurate prophecy. Obfustication to people of his time, does not prevent clarity to later generations.

Try reading the prophecies of Agnes Nutter in "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman for an example of how this could work.

Any successes that "prophets" have had as far as I can tell falls purely into the realm of "There will be an earthquake in Southern California". IE. stuff that is bound to happen sooner or later. Most of them can't even hit the accuracy rate of blind guesses.

Got any explicit examples of things you'd like to give us?

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
megamania said:
oooh, nice. As artful dodges for failed prophecies go, it's definitely more impressive than the whole seeing through the glass yet darkly... ;)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Kahuna Burger said:
I wouldn't describe it as "New Age". We've been living in the "end times" for a few hundred years now, and the World End predictions I've seen in my lifetime have run the gamut of social niche appeal...

No, I mean specifically - the first published work I'm aware of suggesting the Mayan calendar implied some sort of "end of the world as we know it" was by José Argüelles, who was big n the Harmonic Convergence stuff. Definitely a New Ager.

Which is not to say others have not been predicting the end of the world. People have been predicting that... probably since there have been people with sufficient language skills for the purpose.

werk

First Post
Source of the Cosmogenesis Story said:
: Link :
In conclusion, Maya Cosmogenesis 2012 is a prelude to a major breakthrough in understanding our origins. The fulfillment of that breakthrough will be a shift in modern paradigms of uncomparable magnitude that will modify the educational dogma of modern science. When fully comprehended, we will realize that our declaration of "superstitious illiterates" is a direct reflection of our incapacity to comprehend what is before our own faces.

:blink:

ok...

Numion

First Post
megamania said:
Also, (now I will be stoned and kicked) the aliens /dimensional beings that showed them the ability to track the stars and the signifigance of it may be returning then as part of the new age / cycle.

Do you think they'll be pissed off since Mayans have fallen pretty hard?

Or that we now know much more about astronomy than Mayans ever did even with the aliens help?

....and yes. I am crazy but not because I believe in this kinda stuff.

Crazy stuff is usually ignored, well, because its crazy.

Simplicity

Explorer
Sorry to inform you all, but the world's been ended for like 3 or 4 years now. That's okay though because now we can all stop obsessing about stuff and get on with our lives.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Source of the Cosmogenesis Story
In conclusion, Maya Cosmogenesis 2012 is a prelude to a major breakthrough in understanding our origins. The fulfillment of that breakthrough will be a shift in modern paradigms of uncomparable magnitude that will modify the educational dogma of modern science. When fully comprehended, we will realize that our declaration of "superstitious illiterates" is a direct reflection of our incapacity to comprehend what is before our own faces.
Whoa. That would be absolutely terrific if it came to pass.

Remove ads