• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The apocalypse on 2012?

Rackhir

Explorer
megamania said:
Predicting the future can be done.

Let me make my point in a less snarky way. Prophecy or predicting the future is both useless and pointless, if all you can do is point to something after the fact and say that "predicted" it happening.

Can you name one single disaster, assassination, war, plague or such that was predicted ahead of time and was either averted or significantly reduced in it's impact by it's being predicted? Cause human history is carpeted with situations that if prophecy worked, if psychic powers actually existed, could have been averted. It wouldn't have taken a lot to have prevented the assassination of the Arch Duke that triggered WWI for example.

Why aren't all Psychics making a killing in the stock market? Why do they ask me "Who's calling?"? Why don't they call me and tell me what I need to know?

megamania said:
Strange things seen but has no explanation-

Footprints of a T-Rex and a human side by side in the petrified mud of a river bank

Ah, this one was a favorite of the "creation science" people, once upon a time. It's been debunked. Even the Institute for Creation Research doesn't claim they are "human" and dinosaur footprints any more (they were in fact other smaller dinosaur and larger dinosaur Footprints).

http://www.skepticfiles.org/evolut/fooevo.htm
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/paluxy.html

In my experience when a person claims something like this is "unexplainable" or have some fantastic explaination for it, usually that's because they know nothing about what they are claiming is "unexplainable". When you ask people who actually know something about the subject, these "unexplainable" things usually tend to have fairly simple and straight forward explanations that don't involve any extraordinary factors.

megamania said:
Aboriginal drawings of themselves bowing / trading with a "human" in a visored helmet (not a mask before you go there)

A Painting in the 1600's of JC in a triangular crafted flying machine with flames coming from the backside

References? Pictures? Links? Something other than your word it is so?

megamania said:
'nuff said. This will become yet another thread of flame wars which we have an entire section devoted to already.

No that's Circus Maximus. That's actually a separate web site, though loosely associated with EN World. I think there's a link to it under the Media sub-board heading.

Last edited:

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
People's beliefs, either in a god or in little green men, are very personal and very important. Philosophical discussions car turn as nasty as religious one...

So I prefer keeping my oppinion to myself on this subject in EN World :)

Rackhir

Explorer
Horacio said:
People's beliefs, either in a god or in little green men, are very personal and very important. Philosophical discussions car turn as nasty as religious one...

So I prefer keeping my oppinion to myself on this subject in EN World :)

Hey! Horacio! How are you doing these days? I still remember you bumping the original thread of Sepulchrave's on what he should do with the paladin and the succubus, so he'd come back and tell us what happened. One of my fond memories of ENWorld.

Frukathka said:
No; not neutral, not by a long a long shot. I am actaully a very warm and caring person and believe that everyone deserves a second chance regardless of what they have done.

Not a Futurama fan, I'm guessing. Oh well.

SWBaxter

First Post
Umbran said:
The Mayans had a complicated calendaring system, that worked using several layers of repeating cycles. The Mayan Long Count Calendar is the longest of them, and it happens to end in 2012.

Just to be pedantic, it doesn't end, it ticks over. It's analogous to our calendar going from 1999 to 2000, the biggest digit is changing (from 12 to 13, in the Mayan case).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Rackhir said:
Eric frowns upon religious discussion. They have a tendency to turn nasty and get heated.

Yes - often because of responses like yours, which can come off as pretty snarky. You may want to tone it down some, before your own stock begins to plummet.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
SWBaxter said:
Just to be pedantic, it doesn't end, it ticks over. It's analogous to our calendar going from 1999 to 2000, the biggest digit is changing (from 12 to 13, in the Mayan case).

Yes, well to be equally pedantic, what I meant is that the current cycle ends - and the next one then begins. The Mayans tended to mark the end of cycles with festivals and the like...

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Umbran said:
Yes - often because of responses like yours, which can come off as pretty snarky. You may want to tone it down some, before your own stock begins to plummet.
While the tone might have been slightly snarky, it seems to me that if someone lists things that we "must" react to a certain way and giving our actual reactions (be they amusement, resignation to people who keep repeating things decades after they have been dealt with or simply taking the person less seriously as a source of facts) is unacceptable, then the original assertions were unacceptable as well.

(If you intended your comments to be Mod Red, I will delete these comments and take the more generalized sentiment somewhere more appropriate.)

Last edited:

Merkuri

Explorer
Rackhir said:
Can you name one single disaster, assassination, war, plague or such that was predicted ahead of time and was either averted or significantly reduced in it's impact by it's being predicted?

Y2K! :p

(Note, I'm just being silly, not really meaning to put forth a valid argument. Please do not flame. ;))

Remove ads