The apocalypse on 2012?

JDJblatherings

First Post
2012 isn't "the end of the world" it's the "end of the world as we know it now".

Oh look age of aquarius... fascinating.

one shoudl note, tha Mayans thought mayan civilization wouldl under go problems but still be here in 2012, they certainly got that part wrong.

0bsolete

First Post
The main problem I have with this concept is that really, it ends up falling back into a religious mindset of some type. Not that you have to be religious, but that there is a religious-esque mindset that assumed a pre-written, detailed path of existence. Now, I'm not saying this isn't correct, and I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying I'm wondering what the other side of the story is.

I think at the end of the day, I know what I'm going to do on December 21st. Go to all the end of the world parties, have fun and get drunk, but I'm going to make sure I drink two glasses of water before I go to bed and not host one at my house, that way I don't have to clean up or deal with a killer hangover the next day.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Umbran said:
Hitting an end of a cycle, then, may have been important to the Mayans, but the apocalyptic stuff is a more recent New Age addition.
I wouldn't describe it as "New Age". We've been living in the "end times" for a few hundred years now, and the World End predictions I've seen in my lifetime have run the gamut of social niche appeal...

It's like living in the Buffy-verse sometimes "And now I find myself needing to know the plural of apocalypse".... ;) But if this one gains traction, I promise to have the 2012 KahunaCon be themed The End of the World as We Know It, with an apocalypse or post apocalyptic game in every slot. :cool:

werk

First Post
JDJblatherings said:
one shoudl note, tha Mayans thought mayan civilization wouldl under go problems but still be here in 2012, they certainly got that part wrong.

I thought that the mayan's calculated out their long count calendar, beginning and end, then found out where they were on it at the time...something like 3rd age, near the middle. At the end is their symbol for death.

I don't really believe in it, but it's interesting.

Rackhir

Explorer
I'm sure it will prove to be every bit as accurate as this "prophecy" from Nostradamus.

"The year 1999, seventh month,
From the sky will come a great King of Terror.
To bring back to life the great King of the Mongols,
Before and after Mars to reign by good luck."

Cause you all remember the King of Terror and the King of the Mongols from 1999, right?

Dire Bare

Legend
What I'm wondering is, after 2012 passes and we're all okay (other than the slightly increased global temperatures causing rising sea levels, increased desertification and other environmental ills), when's the next apocalypse?

I always like a good apocalypse to look forward too.

Numion

First Post
Rackhir said:
Cause you all remember the King of Terror and the King of the Mongols from 1999, right?

Got damn I completely missed that :confused:

That would've been so cool. King of Terror. What is with these weak 20th-21st century monarchs? A real King is the King of Terror and comes from the SKY!

BTW, on this hunchback of notre dame, he made about 6500 predictions. Surely some of those would come true by mere chance?

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Numion said:
BTW, on this hunchback of notre dame, he made about 6500 predictions. Surely some of those would come true by mere chance?
esp if they are sufficiently vague and people want them to come true. I remember watching a Nostro special back towards the end of the Cold War, and they were talking about one of the prophecies and making it out to be about the USSR.... Saw the same special "updated" a decade later or so - the same prophecy had magicly transformed to be arab related.... :p

Rackhir

Explorer
Numion said:
Got damn I completely missed that :confused:

That would've been so cool. King of Terror. What is with these weak 20th-21st century monarchs? A real King is the King of Terror and comes from the SKY!

Depends. If you want to look strictly at what he wrote and with knowledge of what words meant at the time according to some sources, he's batting about zero. Even one of his more famous "predictions" from the era when he lived is pretty dubious.

"The young Lion will overcome the old one,
in martial field by a single duel.
In a golden cage he shall put out his eye.
Two wounds from one, and then he shall die a cruel death."

Supposedly, this predicted the death of the French King, Henri II, but it really doesn't hold up, without some very generous interpretations of fact. Since, he and the guy who killed them were about the same age and neither used a lion as their symbol.

Hister was the name of a river and nothing to do with Hitler. Etc...

Basically, he's about as accurate as any "prophet". Which is to say not at all. He's just had a better PR machine than most.

Remove ads