• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Beast Within. [Was Exit 23 OOC, D20 Modern with Dark*Matter elements]

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Jarval said:
As for Advance Classes, all the classes in the SRD are available, along with the Battle Mind and Telepath and the Wild Talent feat. Magic based PrCs will also be available, but I need to check them over quickly to decide which best suits my idea of the setting.

The magic ones were the ones I was wondering about, actually. :) But somehow, I think he'd take the same skills whether or not they're available, so I'll go about updating him.

Jarval

Explorer
Vardeman, good to have you back :)
Thomas Hobbes said:
The magic ones were the ones I was wondering about, actually. :) But somehow, I think he'd take the same skills whether or not they're available, so I'll go about updating him.
With regard to magical PrCs, both the Mage and Occultist are available. The Acolyte class also exists in the setting, but is very rare (on a comparable level with True Faith in the World of Darkness games). The Institute has somewhat mixed feelings about Acolytes, with the issues of priorities and loyalties coming to the fore...

I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple of folks, but by the looks of things I'll need to recruit a couple more players (Sixchan and EldrichDragon both having RL commitments dropping them out of the game). I'll post a recruitment thread once I hear back from the other two players I'm chasing up (or on Friday, if they haven't responded by then), and hopefully we should be onto the next adventure before November starts.

Vardeman

First Post
Ok, I think I have Danny's advancement set. Taking another level of Fast, and a level of Strong, setting up to take the Battlemind advanced class. Just one question. Which ability is the key ability for the Battlemind? I couldn't find it.

V

Jarval

Explorer
Right, you three are the only players who are sticking with the game (Sixchan and EldrichDragon having RL commitments, having had no reply from tmart or E2S), so I'm going to post a recruitment thread. I'm going to try to get two or three more PCs, and hopefully we should be back up and running before long.
Vardeman said:
Ok, I think I have Danny's advancement set. Taking another level of Fast, and a level of Strong, setting up to take the Battlemind advanced class. Just one question. Which ability is the key ability for the Battlemind? I couldn't find it.
Hmm, not sure on the key ability question. I'll dig out the rule book and have a look.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Right, John will be sticking with Smart hero- I'm just torn between Mage and Occultist. On the one hand, Mage is obviously more powerful, with lots of spells instead of just scrolls, plus a better defense score. On the other hand, a shadow servant is just so damn cool. Oh well- I'll be putting the same points into the same skills anyway....

loxmyth

First Post
I'm pretty sure Daunte will be going straight Charismatic. I've been thinking of adding in a level of Fast, but it looks like we'll already have two and I don't want to step on anyone else's toes, niche-wise. Possibly angling towards the Negotiator class, if things fall that way In Character.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
As I said before, there are some rules from Ultramodern Firearms I’d like to use, if I may. All of them concern shotguns- different ways to handle range increments, choke, and different ammunition types (including non-lethal ones, of particular interest to John). The goal being to have versaltility over the sort of raw firepower that automatic weapons offer.

Range increments: Instead of taking a -2 to hit, “shot” ammunition instead takes a -2 penalty to damage for each range increment, representing the spread of the pellets. All other ammunition uses the standard rules.

A shotgun’s ‘choke’ is the level of restriction at the end of the barrel, which governs the spread. Open Choke weapons have no restriction; the range increment of the shotgun is halved, but the users gets a +1 to hit. Normal choke means that that the shotgun uses the standard rules. And full-choke weapons reduce the diameter at the end of the barrel, making the shot spread slower- instead of -2 to damage per range increment, the penalty is -1 to hit and -1 to damage. Some ammunition types can only be used with an open choke.

Ammunition types: Standard shells are 3 inches long. Shells that are 2 ¾ inches long and 3 ½ inches long are available, dealing -1 and +1 damage, respectively. Not all shotguns can use 3 ½ inch shells; all can use 2 ¾ inch ones.

Riot rounds: Deal same damage as regular round, only the damage is non-lethal. Purchase DC 5.

Slug: Same damage as a regular round, but the range increment applies to hit. Purchase DC 4

Slug penetrator: As above, but armor piercing: +1 to hit vs. armor or natural armor, -1 to damage whether the target is armored or not. Purchase DC 6

CS (tear gas): Tiny tear gas grenade. A 5-foot square is usually targeted; anyone actually hit takes 2d4 non-lethal. On the round it’s fired, the 5-foot square if filled; on the following round, all squares within 10 feet are filled. Fort save DC 15 or be nauseated for 1d6 rounds (as per errated tear gas). Purchase DC 12

CS Penetrator: As above, but 2d6 lethal if hit. Intended to go through door, etc.-if the damage equals or exceeds the hardness of the door, it goes through. Purchase DC 14

And, my personal favorite:

Dragon: Shoots a gout of fire, making the shotgun a miniature flamethrower. A 5-foot wide, 20-foot long line dealing 2d6 fire damage, reflex half, with a chance of catching on fire as per Chapter 7 of the core rulebook. Purchase DC 12.

As for the weapon, the Mossberg 500 ATP6C: Damage 2d8, Crit x2, Ballistic, Range increment 40 feet, Rate of fire single, purchase DC 14, Restriction Lic (+1). No stock, pistol grip, 2’4 inches long and 6 pounds. Can fire 3 ½ inch shells.

If I explained something poorly, feel free to ask. Character should be up later tonight.

Jarval

Explorer
Eh, all of that looks fine with me. Go ahead and use all of that stuff, but you're probably going to need to remind me of some of these rules the first time they come up in play ;) I can certainly see the Institute approving of you taking a less lethal route :)

loxmyth

First Post
The updated Daunte is here. I ended up levelling him up totally as a Charismatic, and I'll provide a more in-depth background in the next day or so.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
John's stats are up. Two more equipment related requests (what? I'm playing a rich character with an affinity for gadgets. :D). Stuff from the D20 modern web enhancement (small cameras and such), and the Ultramodern firearms version of the SITES M9 (purchase DC 16, an additional +2 to sleight of hand checks to conceal the weapon).

Remove ads