The better existential film?

I Heart Huckabees or Waking Life?

• I Heart Huckabees

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Waking Life

Votes: 3 50.0%

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
First, of these two, it has to be Waking Life because I Heart Huckabees isn't a very good film.

Second, if you're looking for a really good existential film, I would recommend Ikiru, The Seventh Seal, Solaris (1972 Russian Original), A Serious Man, or Synechdoche, New York. Just to start with.

Stranger than Fiction.

First, best Will Ferrell movie because he's just a normal guy. He's an IRS auditor who, one day, starts hearing a voice narrating his actions, and how he doesn't know that soon he will be dead.

He overhears Emma Thompson talking and realizes it's her voice. She's a writer with writer's block and to shock herself out of it, decides to write about her main character's death.

The highlight is when he goes and tracks down a lit professor (Dustin Hoffman) to help him work out what's going on. What kind of book is he in? Is it a comedy? Is it a tragedy?

Folks, the OP is "The better Existential Film" not state as many as you can think of. ;)
True, but this is a good way for people to possibly find a movie they'll love. Because, what if you don't particularly like either of the movies? What if you've only seen one, or part of two?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
True, but this is a good way for people to possibly find a movie they'll love. Because, what if you don't particularly like either of the movies? What if you've only seen one, or part of two?
Just to play devils advocate here, would you be ok starting a 5E D&D thread and all the responses being about 1E, 2E, 3E, 4E instead because nobody had played or liked 5E? I mean, there is a lot to like and share about all editions not 5E, but the thread is about 5E.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I'm just going to add to my previous comment.

David O. Russell is one of the most confounding directors I can think of. There are a lot of directors that I love- Kubrick, Tarantino, Anderson (Wes and P.T.), Fincher, Coen, Nolan, Cuarón, etc. When they have a movie out, I know I have to see it, even before I know what the movie is about.

And then there's Russell. He has made some movies that are just absolutely amazing. American Hustle. Three Kings. The Fighter. Silver Linings Playbook. But every other movie he has made is a mess of some type ... which is even more impressive because his misses usually somehow manage to waste great casts.

Seriously, most directors would kill for the triple of The Fighter, SLP, and American Hustle ... all released in a four-year period, yet somehow Russell's entire oeuvre has is filled with high-concept misfires.

Remove ads