The better existential film?

I Heart Huckabees or Waking Life?

• I Heart Huckabees

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Waking Life

Votes: 3 50.0%

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'm just going to add to my previous comment.

David O. Russell is one of the most confounding directors I can think of. There are a lot of directors that I love- Kubrick, Tarantino, Anderson (Wes and P.T.), Fincher, Coen, Nolan, Cuarón, etc. When they have a movie out, I know I have to see it, even before I know what the movie is about.

And then there's Russell. He has made some movies that are just absolutely amazing. American Hustle. Three Kings. The Fighter. Silver Linings Playbook. But every other movie he has made is a mess of some type ... which is even more impressive because his misses usually somehow manage to waste great casts.

Seriously, most directors would kill for the triple of The Fighter, SLP, and American Hustle ... all released in a four-year period, yet somehow Russell's entire oeuvre has is filled with high-concept misfires.
I didnt care for American Hustle at all. A lot of that is I never thought Bradley Cooper was a very good actor. In fact, a lot of times he takes me out of the experience. However, he really sold me in Nightmare Alley.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I didnt care for American Hustle at all. A lot of that is I never thought Bradley Cooper was a very good actor. In fact, a lot of times he takes me out of the experience. However, he really sold me in Nightmare Alley.

I think he's remarkably good ... of course, I also happen to think that the majority of people who make it in Hollywood are remarkably good (weird, that) and when they aren't, it's really noticeable. He really livened up Licorice Pizza.

Then again, he's no Cate Blanchett. I just got around to finally watching Tár, and it confirmed by belief that pretty much every Oscar could be given to her, it's just whether or not she happens to receive it that year.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think he's remarkably good ... of course, I also happen to think that the majority of people who make it in Hollywood are remarkably good (weird, that) and when they aren't, it's really noticeable. He really livened up Licorice Pizza.

Then again, he's no Cate Blanchett. I just got around to finally watching Tár, and it confirmed by belief that pretty much every Oscar could be given to her, it's just whether or not she happens to receive it that year.
I've warmed, but also think his performances have improved greatly over time. Also, dont hate me, but I really don't like Jennifer Lawrence. Agreed on Blanchett.

niklinna

satisfied?
I haven't seen either film but I liked the trailer for I Heart Huckabees.

Stranger than Fiction.

First, best Will Ferrell movie because he's just a normal guy. He's an IRS auditor who, one day, starts hearing a voice narrating his actions, and how he doesn't know that soon he will be dead.

He overhears Emma Thompson talking and realizes it's her voice. She's a writer with writer's block and to shock herself out of it, decides to write about her main character's death.

The highlight is when he goes and tracks down a lit professor (Dustin Hoffman) to help him work out what's going on. What kind of book is he in? Is it a comedy? Is it a tragedy?

I really enjoyed Redshirts. The main story's ending was a bit trite, but then the epilogues put a really find bow on it.

Remove ads