• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Captain's Caper! (Dunamin judging)

covaithe

Explorer
"Kartharath, eh? Never heard of 'er," Quagmire grunts. He moves to try to surround the nearest drake and lays into it with an invigorating roar.

[sblock=actions]Shift to I4. Bastion of Defense on D1, hits AC 16 for 15 damage. If that's a hit, everyone within 5 (which I think is everyone) gets +1 power bonus to defenses for the rest of the encounter. Even if it's a miss, everyone within 5 gets 8 temp HP.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Quagmire stat block]Quagmire Weaselcrust- Male Hobgoblin Warlord 1
Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
AC:17, Fort:14, Reflex:13, Will:14 -- Speed:5
HP:26/26, Bloodied:13, Surge Value:6, Surges left:6/9
Initiative +6, and grants nearby allies +2 to initiative
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers: Wolf Pack Tactics, Viper's Strike, Hammer and Anvil, Inspiring Wordx2, Hobgoblin Resilience, Bastion of Defense, Sneak Attack
[/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
Alexander steps aside on the sand to flank a drake together with Quagmire.
He tries to swing his sword at both drakes, but the sand makes it considerably more difficult.

[sblock=actions]move:shift to K2; standard: Cleave on D1:15 vs AC, 7 dmg(rolled wrong, so took only lower dice for dmg...) and 4 dmg on D2.
Target's marked.[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]Alexander Duran- Human Fighter 1
Initiative:+1 Passive perception:18 Passive Insight:12
AC:19 For:17 Ref:14 Will:13
HP:25/35+5 Bloodied:17 Surges value:8 Surges/day:11/11
Speed:5 Languages:Common, Imperial(=elven)
AP:1 Second Wind:1
Basic Attack: +8 vs AC, 1d8+4
Opportunity attack: +10 vs AC, 1d8+4
Powers: Cleave, Sure strike, Tide of iron
Covering Attack
Comeback strike[/sblock]

Phoenix8008

First Post
-Hrav moves to the perimeter of the battle and sends a shuriken spinning into the neck of one of the smaller kobolds with a thunk. That kobold drops to the sand, spurting blood and clutching its neck.
-Quagmire shifts and attack one of the drakes, hitting it solidly.
-Alexander moves to flank the same drake and barely manages to hit it with the distraction provided by Quagmire on the other side. The beast is still fighting strong though.
-Two of the bigger kobolds move forward and turn their attention on Alexander. They both stab him with their shortswords for 9 damage total.
-The kobold that spoke earlier turns toward Hrav and launches an orb of sizzling green acid right at Hrav's head! It smacks home and starts burning into the Bugbear for 13 damage! (Crit) He then shifts forward one step (to K9)
- Girth can go followed by Brudd and the remaining kobolds...
[sblock=Combat Info]Initiatives and status
20 - D1: 15+7 damage
20 - D2
20 - Hrav: 13 acid damage
18 - Quagmire
17 - Alexander: 5+4 damage
15 - K2
15 - K3
14 - K1
10 - Girth
08 - K4
08 - K5: dead
08 - K6
08 - K7
08 - Brudd

K2, K3 attack Alexander (1d20+7+1=23, 1d6+3=5, 1d20+7+1=25, 1d6+3=4)
K1 Acid Orb at Hrav (1d20+6=26, 1d10+3=11)[/sblock]
attachment.php

Attachments

• CC_E5_Bounty_Hunters2.JPG
    CC_E5_Bounty_Hunters2.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 133

Halford

First Post
Brudd moves around to flank the Guard Drake with Alexander, calling upon his god to help him strike home,

"Let me blade strike true would ya boss? And lend yer aide te me pal Alex to if ye would!" He bellows.

As usual the sword strikes true and Brudd grins viciously.

[sblock=Hit 27, 9 Damage + 4 for Alex to hit D2]Righteous Brand on D2, uses Divine Favor for +1 to hit.1d20+10=25, 1d12+5=7 [/sblock]

[sblock=Sword]I've got to admit that I'm having a little trouble seeing Brudd giving up that sword in character. I don't have a problem giving it up from an OOC perspective its just that Brudd wouldn't, certainly not for the time being, not even if the Captain asked him to. I'm rolling without it, but I honestly don't see what would stop him using it - he doesn't know its above his level - and even if he did he'd be okay with it, lol. Maybe you could say it requires something to activate its magic?[/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=sword]Yeah... If this weren't a living world game, I would totally be suggesting just taking the sword and ditching the rest of the adventure. Meta-gaming, it's clearly better than any other reward we're likely to get from this adventure. Meta-meta-gaming, I can see that it's probably better for L4W if we don't start right out of the gate with the overpowered treasure items. Especially if the first person to get something overpowered is a judge. That's just wrong.

I think this group will probably behave and hand over the sword... eventually... but, slipping my judge hat on for a moment, if I had read in an adventure proposal that you intended to have an item like that in play for a 1st level group, even if it wasn't intended for them, I'd have red-flagged it as something to fix before starting the game, because inevitably the players would get their hands on it and not want to give it up.
[/sblock]

Halford

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Well I am referring to for the moment, Brudd doesn't see why he should not use the sword until it is handed over, sort of thing. He'll probably hand it over. Of course he might suggest taking it back afterwards depending on the situation, we are Pirates...[/sblock]

Phoenix8008

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Using the sword till its handed over is fine. That will just be for this fight. As for not handing it over or trying to take out the dwarf you are delivering it to, well...lets just say it won't be as easy as throttling an unsuspecting dragonborn on a deserted isle. You're welcome to try if you really can't restrain yourself in character, but I wouldn't advise it. :devil:

As for a judge red flagging it. Unfortunately, this was kind of a after approval afterthought addition. I thought it would be cool for the item you are supposed to be delivering to maybe come back in the future and be memorable enough to be recognized. Maybe I can do a little DM fudging to take the sting out of handing it over... we'll see how it goes I guess.[/sblock]

Halford

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Works for me, like I've said is nothing if not practical, if he sees the group is outmatched he'll bide his time, hes also mindful of attracting the Merchants attentions. Great name btw, clearly it must be destined for a Cleric of Hadeys![/sblock]

The Digger

First Post
"Honestly, my Lady, you could at least let us have a rest before testing us again."

Girth sounds tired and bored as his hand flashes with fire and an explosion cascades the sand amongst the remaining kobalds (L8)

[sblock=OOC]Scorching burst against Ki & K6. Rolled 14 vs Ki and 19 vs K6; damage 6. Roll Lookup [/sblock]

"And I suppose I will have to deal with these also."

Irritated now Girth turns his attention to the two drakes. Like an ass between 2 haystacks he is undecided - but only for a moment - as he calls down the wrath of the Lady on D1.

"Lizard! Thou against the Lady have sinned. And so in Her Name I curse thee, unto death."

Remove ads