• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Chaos Effect updated 10/11/05 Exit the Dungeon + New Players intro

THE CHAOS EFFECT
SEGMENT 020

Seems we need to drive this onward-

Each of you are given a small bag. Within each bag is money and small scrolls or journals.

On the way, the Mage bred horse becomes very agressive and angry. The heavy war horse defends itself and the two nip and kick at each other. The Captain threatens to release each of the horses when still 500 ft above ground. However, just as quickly as it started, it ends. Rashliegh gets a stray thought and did a detect evil. An evil spirit had settled within his horse. Thinking it through he surmises that the spirit was once contained within the sickly child. Everyone tried to heal the child but never bothered with any sort of detect spells.

Two posts the trading village is very small. The airship draws a lot of attention. The horses are released magically but in some discomfort. Last minute items are availiable but at 150% cost. Climbing gear is closer to 200%.

The trail will take four - five days to travel to reach the caves Jaskin spoke of.

Do you wish for random encounters or go to the caves?

MadMaxim

First Post
Spike goes through the journals and stuffs the money and the journals in his backpack. He's already carrying all his equipment, so he disembarks and waits for the rest of the party to get off the ship. On his way down, he salutes the captain and thanks him for the ride.

OOC: I don't mind a few random encounters to test the party's skills :) Spike will gladly stand guard entire nights.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Vander will calm his horse as best he can. "Something wrong with your horse Rashliegh?" he'll ask.

As he prepares his horse for travel, he will look through the bags and read through anything contained within. He wants no supprises when they land.

OOC: [sblock]
megamania said:
Do you wish for random encounters or go to the caves?
A few random encounters are fine, might be good to test our skills as a party and work as a team.

Suggested Marching order and other stuff:
1 by
(V)ander
(K)errick
(R)ashleigh
(C)lang
(T)amin
(S)pike

2by
V K
R C
S T

Watches (2.7 hours each)
Spike - All (if he's willing)
1 - Vander
2 - Kerrick
3 - Tamin
4 - Rashleigh, Clang (I think clang still needs to "rest" to recover PPs)[/sblock]

lonesoldier

First Post
Kerrick takes the journals from the bag and ties the bag closed. He puts all but one journal and the bag into his haversack. He thanks the Captain and the dwarf before leaving the airship. Once he's back on terra firma, Kerrick opens the journal he did not put away and reads it until everyone else is on the ground as well.

OOC: How much money is in the bags? What are the journals about?

sleepystyle

First Post
"Hmmm...." Rashleigh thinks over this new turn of events before answering Vander. "On the bright side, I would assume the child will be recovering nicely now and his mother will assume it was my doing after last nights ministrations. I had considered my attempts to be only a breif moment of peace for the child, but as it turns out it is too bad I didn't charge her after all. On the other hand, my horse now appears to be possessed. It seems the child was never ill, but was acting as the unfortunate and unwelcome host for some kind of malevolent spirit which has now taken up residence in my new and, ahem, rather expensive mount."

So my horse is still possessed? What spell do I use to excorsize it and do I have access to it? Magic circle against evil? [Kn. Religion +8] Could I put a curse on the spirit using Bestow Curse in an attempt to drive it out or maybe use a Suggestion to entice it to leave? If not can I possibly pay for the service of that casting in this village's temple or shrine to the Sovereign Host? Also if there is enough time and they are available, I might like to buy a scroll or 2 even at 150% cost. When you said there are scrolls in the bag, do you mean of the mundane variety or magical? Also skimming through the journal, are we talking Jaskin's journal of the previous expedition? Random encounters are fine with me. Either way will be fine.

Bront

The man with the probe
sleepystyle said:
"Hmmm...." Rashleigh thinks over this new turn of events before answering Vander. "On the bright side, I would assume the child will be recovering nicely now and his mother will assume it was my doing after last nights ministrations. I had considered my attempts to be only a breif moment of peace for the child, but as it turns out it is too bad I didn't charge her after all. On the other hand, my horse now appears to be possessed. It seems the child was never ill, but was acting as the unfortunate and unwelcome host for some kind of malevolent spirit which has now taken up residence in my new and, ahem, rather expensive mount."

"You know, my eldest brother used to say 'no good deed goes unpunished', and this certaintly seems to be the case, but I think the reward in your heart for doing the right thing should well outweigh any extra cost you may incure from banishing this spirit. Besides, I have a feeling we may have to walk our horses on occasion, adn they certaintly aren't going to be going underground."

lonesoldier

First Post
"We really should deal with that spirit, I would not want it to leap into one of us," Kerrick suggests, "Though, unless Rashleigh or the psionisist warforged can remove it, I doubt anyone in the town can.".

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Tamin looks into his bag, makes a quick count of the money and pulls out the papers he was given.

If they relate to his family, he immediately starts to read--at least a skim.

After a while, Tamin looks up, seemingly lost, but he collects himself. "Odd that a spirit is around... I'm sorry about your horse, Rashliegh, but at least it's out of the child." He pauses as if he just said something awkward. "So, should we go? We could look for services to help the horse, but this place seems a little too small for that."

Random encounters are cool. Can't turn down xp, can I? ;)

KERRICK

Within your bag is 500 gold and 4 of the Wu Jen coins. (now have a total of 5 of 10).

You look at the coins and marvel at the delicate detail given to each coin. The first coin, or token, held by your master depicted a powerful dragon (Red). The coins you hold depict a menancing demon, a human farmer, a giant (Storm) and another human. The backs of the coins have secret inscriptions that have yet to be perfectly decoded.

What you know of the legend, these coins depict each of the key players in a great battle of good vs evil and how they used humans as pawns.

Remove ads