• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Coldlands War, Part I

Komodo

First Post
"Yes. Ursus as in bear," the machine says in response to the halfling. "I was created as a frontline combatant for the Coldlands military. I have been told that I was given my personal designation because of my ferocity in battle." His voice seems to raise an imperceptible amount. "But do not worry, small one. I am only fierce while I am fighting."

Last edited:

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
You have spent roughly a ten minutes in your barracks now. The sun has begun its descent, and you would guess that it is roughly three in the afternoon - the bells of some church in Mechanicus rang what seems only a few moments ago, when the officer you were told of enters the room.

He is a gunslinger, and human, that much is certain; a long rifle is slung across his back, and he wears a loose-fitting brown leather coat; a simple watch with a leather band is strapped around his left wrist. His face is clean-shaven, his black hair cropped short, green eyes scanning each of you for a brief moment before moving on to the next. His stance is somewhat rigid, but nowhere near what would be considered appropriate for a ranking officer in a military.

"I see you've all made it here safely." He says. "I'm captain Jacques, and I'll be the one who assigns you your objectives."

"Fortunately, your group ended up having a healer... we've had few enough of those, surprisingly." He looks at Tyliss. "Unfortunately, you also ended up with the wizard... that's too bad. But maybe it'll turn to your advantage."

He pauses for a small moment, looking slightly uncomfortable.

"The rules," He says, shifting his attention so that he seems to be looking at the group as a whole, "are quite simple: we give you an objective, and you accomplish it. Time and silence are of utmost important - time because we're pressed to ensure that the Ashkians can't launch an attack before they realize what's going on, and silence, because - if you're caught - we aren't going to admit to your allegiance to the Coldlands. In short, you don't exist, and we don't condone your actions."

"Given that you're adventurers," He shrugs at that word, "the military has decided that you don't need training of any sort, and that you don't need to be given any gear. Hopefully that's accurate, because we don't have anything to spare. If you need something, see captain Toren - head of supplies - he might be able to help you. However, we're not in any semblance of order at this point, so don't expect him to give you anything the regulars might need. Simple things, like ammunition or food, we can give you... but arms, or armor, or anything like that, and you're probably on your own."

"However, being adventurers," Again the shrug, "you're also much more free in your actions than the regulars. You only need report to me, and not necessarily in detail; you'll meet me here when you've accomplished an objective, and you'll receive your next one. You'll be given a set amount of time to complete each objective. You'll have to work fast. If you don't report back here within the specified time, we'll assume that you were captured or killed. Some of you might think that this would be a great way to get out of enlistment... but if we find out that you're wandering around, you'll be recruited again - as a regular. And I don't think any of you wants that."

"Of course," He says, the hint of a smile on his face, "there is an incentive for you to stay with the military as an adventurer. Each objective you successfully complete will get you three ivory notes apiece. You can also keep anything you loot, assuming that it wasn't taken from anyone loyal to the Coldlands."

"It is also assumed that you'll appoint one of your own as a leader. While assumed, it is not required; however, it will make dealing with the higher-ups that much easier, as you'll have one voice to account for your actions."

He pauses, and glances at his watch.

"Alright, I think that covers it. Any questions before I give you your first assignment?"

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Tyliss pulls his hood up over his head hiding his snow-white hair and covering his eyes. "Unfortunately you got the wizard....” He mutters to himself. “Inbred human. I bet he can’t tie his boots without a manual.”
He stalks off and sits on one of the top bunks. Looking over his meager spell book and hoping the commander dies in a fiery explosion.

"Well now what? Do we just wait here?"

Krug

Newshound
Elkus looks at the others. It all sounded good to him! "I'm ready to go but I can't speak for mah companions, having just met 'em," says the Halfling. He admires the officer's weapons. I wonder what's the range on that sweet piece.

Komodo

First Post
Ursus turns with a whir to Jaques and salutes again. "Understood, sir", he says in his tinny, monotone voice. "Awaiting our first assignment." The mechanical man stands still, holding his hand above his brow.

Last edited:

Imerak

First Post
Akamarr looks over at Tyliss. A wizard? Meh. "How long are we going to be in this...service?" he asks carefully. He always had a disdain for politik, now moreso than ever before. So I don't exist, eh...

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Tyliss
"Well now what? Do we just wait here?"

"Ask questions, if you have any." Jacques says carefully.

Elkus
"I'm ready to go but I can't speak for mah companions, having just met 'em,"

Jacques nods. "Good to hear. We don't have much time to spare for preparation."

Ursus
"Awaiting our first assignment."

Jacques nods his approval, seeming to take relief in the artilect's outlook.

Akamarr
"How long are we going to be in this...service?"

"Until we win, or they do." The captain says, nodding. "Adventurers are a valuable asset. We can't afford to lose your abilities so long as the war is being fought."

His gaze sweeps the group. "Any other questions?"

Ferrix

Explorer
Eikasia is aware of the others speech, but appears more aware of how the officer is dressed and holds himself. His melodic voice chimes in, "I am here," something odd to hear coming from an artilect, and it seems like that is all that was necessary to affirm the artilects place.

DemonAtheist

First Post
Sevryn perks up, and addresses the officer.

Look I don't want to get in a fight, I'm sneaky I'm good at being sneaky maybe I could steal something and break it, or just steal it and let you break it, or just break it. But sneaky, um, sir.

Sevryn's eyes are locked on the officer's gun, and he bites his lip, trying to keep himself from jabbering away about the officer's gun, thinking that those comments might be a bit awkward to a superior. His fingers fidget as always, and then, knowing he shouldn't, he goes on:

Nice gun sir really nice gun maybe I can...

He breaks off and bites his lip again, trying not to fidget.

Komodo

First Post
Ursus lowers his hand from his head, glances around at the rest of the small room. He shifts his axe so that it is held directly in front of him by both hands and says, "Our group is prepared. What is our mission, sir?"

Remove ads