D&D 5E The Dwimmermount [OOC]

xynthoros

First Post
UA is just a bunch of little PDF excerpts provided to the community by WotC for free as a means of play testing material for future publications.

GreenKarl

First Post
Yea I think the key is for "play-testing" as they have not been by WotC. I am ok with most of them but please check first as there are a couple that were not balanced (if I remember correctly).

xynthoros

First Post
Yeah, the new warlock stuff is BAF... I would like to see something like it in a future publication, but a bit more reigned in. The Arcane Archer is pretty balanced and the Stone and Sea sorcerers are pretty balanced as long as you don't let them Multiclass. The main thing I can find that might be broken about the loremaster is the save swapping, but it is up against features like the evoker excluding allies from spells and diviner portents. For your average creature your max possible benefit is maybe a +3 to save DC if you switch from its strongest save to its weakest save, but has the possibility at higher levels to be more like a +10 to save DC for the creature.

Thateous

Explorer
Going to have my bladelock take the outlander background and come from a tribe that worships the Primordial Chaos of old mentioned in the The Fifth Era. He will be empowered by the Primordial Chaos much like the lich-lords of old. He will be out exploring the world on his Rumspringa-esque period of freedom. The city-states would be a wonder to behold for him and the excitement of Dwimmermount would be right up his alley.

Sent from my SM-G935P using EN World mobile app

xynthoros

First Post
Pending Approval of Lore Master:

[sblock=Mikel Lorain]
Wizard (Lore Mastery), Cloistered Scholar
Human (Alternate)

Str: 8 (-1)/-1
Dex: 14 (+2)/+2
Con: 16 (+3)/+3
Int: 16 (+3)/+5
Wis: 10 (+0)/+2
Cha: 10 (+0)/+0

HP: 16
HD: 2d6
Initiative: +3

Skills: Arcana* (+7), History* (+7), Nature* (+7), Religion* (+7), Investigation (+5)

Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Draconic, Abyssal, Primordial, Infernal

Equipment: Dagger, Crystal, Scholar's Pack, Spellbook, Scholar's Robes, Writing Kit, Borrowed Book on Dwimmermount, Pouch, 110gp

Linguist: +1 Int, Gain three known languages, create ciphers DC 18 to decipher.

Library Access: Though others must often endure extensive interviews and significant fees to gain access to even the most common archives in your library, you have free and easy access to even the most common archives in your library, you have free and easy access to the majority of the library, though it might also have repositories of lore that are too valuable, magical, ore secret to permit anyone immediate access. You have a working knowledge of your cloister's personnel and bureaucracy, and you know how to navigate those connections with some ease. Additionally, you are likely to gain preferential treatment at other libraries across the realm, as professional courtesy shown to a fellow scholar.

Lore Master: You gain double proficiency with ability checks with which you are already proficient with Arcana, History, Nature and Religion. Additionally you may use intelligence for initiative instead of dexterity.

Spell Secrets: When casting a leveled spell that deals acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, radiant, or thunder damage, you can change the damage type to another on the list. Additionally 1/rest you may change the saving throw for a spell from one ability score to another of your choice.

Cantrips: Light, Mending, Acid Splash

Spellbook: Burning Hands*, Comprehend Languages (R)*, Detect Magic (R)*, Find Familiar (R), Identify (R), Magic Missile*, Protection from Evil and Good*, Unseen Servant (R)[/sblock]

Mikel has spent nearly his entire life in the library, devoted to the history of the world and uncovering mysteries lost to time. The rise and fall of nations seemed to be tied to that cursed dungeon, the Dwimmermount. At the same time, it seemed like the likeliest place to harbor secrets of ages past. So when word came that the dungeon had opened up once more, Mikel was gone before his colleagues had the chance to dissuade him or to even offer their assistance. There were things to be learned, and the longer he waited, the more likely some imbecile would futz things up, making the knowledge irrecoverable.

Mikel was aging, he hadn't hoped the dungeon would open in his lifetime, but here it was, he couldn't offer much in the way of a combatant, but if lore was needed, if the versatility of his spellbook was what was called for, he was more than happy to offer what he could. With the right finds within, perhaps he would have the opportunity to return the world back to its golden age, and maybe, just maybe uncover the secrets of the wretched place so that once closed the doors would never open again.

Last edited:

SunGold

First Post
Got a couple of questions.

1. Would it be ok if I make a cleric of Pelor? You said you might use FR deities for simplicity but it didn't sound set in stone. None of the FR deities really do it for me in terms of healing. No big deal if not though.

2. Would a religious order (regardless of deity) be an acceptable sponsor? I assume many of them would have an interest in Dwimmermount and what's happening there. Healing deities, for example, might send acolytes to tend to the inevitable grievous wounds of the mad shiny-chasing adventurers piling in there. :p

I was set on the Life domain but now I'm actually torn between that and Light. Will still be largely a healer even I go Light. Decisions, decisions.

Remove ads