• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Godsmouth Heresy - Pathfinder PBP [OOC] [FULL]

Crimebuster

First Post
Hey there folks! I'm thinking of a young human cleric of Torag. Very mechanichal minded, sports a huge overflowing backpack and uses a strong oak shovel as his main armement (same crunch as a warhammer). His magic would very low key, with heals as somehow very effective first aid, obscuring mists as "smoke bombs", etc. What do you think?
Welcome, Binder Fred. That's a pretty unique idea, and I think we could go with it. You're welcome to the game, as far as I'm concerned.

Well, if we can just get at least one more person interested (an arcanist of some stripe?), we'll have a viable party.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Negative Energy Affinity: Dhampires are alive, but reacts to positive and negative energy as if it were undead—positive energy harms it, negative energy heals it.

WD, you do realize your Dhampir will be harmed by any healing my character can provide, right? I like the concept, mind you, perticularly in an adventure that seems to take place mostly in catacombs. Just wondering if you've considered this perticuar hurdle (?).

Walking Dad

First Post
Yes, I saw the problem, that healing him has special requirements.

But channeling energy either heals or harms undead, chosen when you use it, not both at once.

If you think finding a an item to heal him is out of question, I could do a Dhampyr Oracle of Bones instead. He could heal himself.
This might be actually a good idea, as a rogue and an urban ranger covers much of the same ground.
He would venerate Pharasma and not taking any create undead spell or ability.

I will keep the ranger idea for another (higher level) game where he can buy his own healing items before the adventure.

Crimebuster

First Post
Walking Dad, I think playing the oracle would be a good fit for this adventure.

I'm still hoping we'll get another one or two people interested in playing. We could use some muscle, and an arcane caster. *fingers crossed*

Crimebuster

First Post
But channeling energy either heals or harms undead, chosen when you use it, not both at once.
Just for the record, this is not quite correct. Clerics are either positive or negative energy channelers, determined at the time of creation by the alignment of the worshiped deity. Neutral clerics have to choose one or the other, and the rules explicitly state that the choice is irreversible.

Walking Dad

First Post
This is the rule I had in mind:
Channeling energy causes a burst that affects all creatures of one type (either undead or living) in a 30-foot radius centered on the cleric.
As a dhampyr counts as undead for this purpose, he shouldn't be affected by a 'healing' burst to help the other party members, but only by a 'harming' burst the cleric uses against attacking zombies.

Right?

Last edited:

Crimebuster

First Post
Oh, okay, got it now. I believe you are correct about that, WD. You wouldn't need to worry about the cleric accidentally hurting your dhampir if he was healing the other PCs. However, if he wanted to target some attacking undead (and in an adventure set in a crypt, it's a good bet there will be some) with a positive burst, it could be problematic because your guy would take 'friendly fire', as you correctly pointed out. Also, as a positive channeler, a cleric would not be able to heal you with his magic. I think these are the points Binder Fred was trying to raise.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Pretty much on the button. :) If our characters have a history together, I could take on a few Inflict spells specifically to heal the Dhampir, if you've got your heart set on a non-divine class WD?

Walking Dad

First Post
No, I'm very fine with the oracle :)
And we got a rogue who can do the scouting. I will specialize more on harmful magic as a counterpoint to the cleric :)

Remove ads