The Mechanical Impact of -5/+10

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The auto-hit is part of scoring a critical though? o_O
No, actually, they're related but not identical. Rolling a 20 is an auto-hit and is also a critical, but you can roll a critical without it being an auto-hit when you have an expanded critical range. Likewise, you can have an attack that auto hits but is not a critical hit (like magic missile).

The difference between the average damage of a -X/+2X attack and a normal attack does not change when you factor in criticals.
You can run the math and find out.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
You're trolling right?
Crits are an auto-hit. Of course that affects the difference in absolute damage because absolute damage is affected by accuracy.

You have no idea how many times I think you are trolling. I think you are trolling right now but I don't say it. It only serves as a way to end the conversation. I guess that's what you really want though. So conversation ended.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
No, actually, they're related but not identical. Rolling a 20 is an auto-hit and is also a critical, but you can roll a critical without it being an auto-hit when you have an expanded critical range. Likewise, you can have an attack that auto hits but is not a critical hit (like magic missile).

The difference between the average damage of a -X/+2X attack and a normal attack does not change when you factor in criticals.
You can run the math and find out.

Hmmm... I disagree, because Expanded Critical also expands you're critical hit from what I remember, but if that's the terminology you wish to use, then yes, criticals don't affect the difference but auto-hits do. Which is what I first said?
Now I'm confused.

You have no idea how many times I think you are trolling. I think you are trolling right now but I don't say it. It only serves as a way to end the conversation. I guess that's what you really want though. So conversation ended.

Sure, go ahead. But if you really want to ignore the table I posted showing why it matters and instead make personal attacks, aren't you just confirming your troll?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Hmmm... I disagree, because Expanded Critical also expands you're critical hit from what I remember, but if that's the terminology you wish to use, then yes, criticals don't affect the difference but auto-hits do. Which is what I first said?
Now I'm confused.
Me too. I feel like I'm wrestling some amorphous ooze with this argument.

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

FYI, for anyone who wants to do the math, even with the expanded critical range, the effect is so minor it is--for the most part-inconsequential.

But hey, if anyone wants to continue the battle between two Grandmasters of Flowers.... FIGHT! :)

Yunru

Banned
Banned
FYI, for anyone who wants to do the math, even with the expanded critical range, the effect is so minor it is--for the most part-inconsequential.

But hey, if anyone wants to continue the battle between two Grandmasters of Flowers.... FIGHT! :)

If anyone wants to do that, more power to them. Having to seperate out damage dice and static damage? No thanks!

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

Right, so I'm less confused:
Scoring an auto-hit effects the accuracy, and thus the damage difference, agreed?

How could it affect it? The only auto-hit is a 20. Unless I am confused? LOL :D

Yunru

Banned
Banned
How could it affect it? The only auto-hit is a 20. Unless I am confused? LOL :D

Because the -5 penalty changes when you only hit on a 20 vs not. So if normally you'd hit on a 17, you've a 20% chance of hitting, but with -5, you've a 5% chance of hitting (instead of a 0%) because of the auto-hit.

Or to put it another way, -5 shrinks the set by 5 numbers (so [14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20] becomes [19, 20]), but the set will always have 20 in it (so [17, 18, 19, 20] just becomes [20]). So a -5 when you only hit on a 16 actually only has a -4 effect (-3 when you only hit on a 17, etc.).

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

Because the -5 penalty changes when you only hit on a 20 vs not. So if normally you'd hit on a 17, you've a 20% chance of hitting, but with -5, you've a 5% chance of hitting (instead of a 0%) because of the auto-hit.

I think the confusion is in the terminology then. An auto-hit is only a 20, whether you take the -5 or not, a 20 is still a 20. But I understand your point regardless and I don't think anyone is questioning that part of it.

Remove ads