The Training Room (Discussion)

Salix

First Post
Bront said:
Specifics I'd like to address:

On the opponent issue, I am trying to figure out a good in game reason to allow for NPCs in there. I think limiting it to interPC sparing might be ok, assuming it was run well. However, I'd worry about potential hard fealings as well (And don't want to turn this into a "My character can beat up your character) match.

I was thinking of something like the Danger Room in the X-men. They rarely spar, instead they always fight simulations of opponents (if my memory is correct, been awhile since I read the comic). It makes sense to me that you would train against your oppenents and their abilities, rather than your allies. Basically, NPCs wouldn't be in there, only simulations of them.

El Jefe

First Post
Bront said:
Damage/Recruiting: How's this. If you're wounded in the training room and in the middle of a combat, half of your wounds heal and the rest must be delt with in the adventure. Since in general, nothing stronger than bruising will be allowed in the training room, it shouldn't be too bad.
If it's just bruising, why not keep all damage? Just how quickly does someone go from the Training Room into a mission? If the opponent is breaking into Headquarters, then there shouldn't be any healing. If there's a plane ride halfway around the world, then people should get their normal rolls to heal damage prior to arriving.
Bront said:
On the opponent issue, I am trying to figure out a good in game reason to allow for NPCs in there.
1. "Guest" PCs training with the Resolutes.
2. Infiltrators.
3. Simulations of NPCs.

Salix

First Post
Just wanted to make sure that training room scenarios are ran by a GM. I didn't have any intention of having two players running a fight between themselves.

Velmont

First Post
Bront, please edit the first post with the official proposal once you have one so we can clearly know on what judge have to vote.

Bront

The man with the probe
Still waiting on more debate about opponents. It looks like we're leaning towards fake opponents (NPC Simulations). I'd suggest, for simplicity, we stick those to the sample characters, unless someone else has an idea.

Velmont

First Post
I would go for either a simulated PC (not the actual one, but an NPC that have the same stats) or for one of the template PC in the book in chapter 1.

Bront

The man with the probe
Agreed. I'll write that up and repost it in the top if I have time today. Preping for vacation (Doing some housecleaning in the office at the moment).

Salix

First Post
I definitely want to run simulated NPCs. I don't really have a lot of interest in running PC vs. PC combats. Why wouldn't the Resolutes be training against known NPC threats?

I wouldlike to fore shadow a villain or two in the training room

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Known supers could be a nice thing, as long as they use only known powers to the Resolute. Supers people have never seen, I'm less sure. It's just taking information in a databases. If you don,t have the information, you can't use it...

Salix

First Post
Exactly what I had in mind. Maybe footage shows a villain using superstrength. The heroes might train against a purely physical threat. Then when they encounter the real deal, They are surprised to learn he can also (control minds, fly, breathe fire,etc.) As games go on and we get more GMs the potential for training fights would continue to build. Running a short training room combat might also encourage new GMs. just my thoughts on it

Remove ads