The Walking Dead 4.3 Isolation (spoilers)

NewJeffCT

First Post
But why don't they have electricity for power tools? They've been in the prison for what, a year? It only takes a few hours (maybe a couple days for a first-timer) to cobble together a basic wind power generator. There are certainly enough abandoned cars around to supply a large battery bank for power storage.

I'd choose a diesel. The reasons should be obvious.

They send people out to get stuff pretty frequently. If they were smart enough to pick up the right things, they could be much more self-sufficient. These people have their priorities all messed up. The first things they should be perfecting are defense, reliable water, and a renewable food source. They seem to treat all those things as hobbies.

well, they did say on the show that they had looted every pharmacy, doctor's office, etc in a 50 mile radius for drugs and supplies. The farther out they go, the more greater the chance of them running into trouble.

They had wind power at Hershel's Farm - it just wasn't a secure location.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Resources? Yet, they have enough gas about for what's her face to burn bodies and she is the one doing everything she can to keep everyone alive. Manpower, from what I have seem only about seven people do anything, everyone else is just zombie food.

These little things are what is driving me crazy about the show, the writers have not let the characters learn from their environment. At least on Gilligan's island they adapted to life on the island.

One of the funnies I saw, they showed Carl packing clothes but the characters never change them. I mean that shirt Rick has on, is about to become a zombie on it's own.

Carol said she did it, but was she covering for somebody else?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
well, they did say on the show that they had looted every pharmacy, doctor's office, etc in a 50 mile radius for drugs and supplies. The farther out they go, the more greater the chance of them running into trouble.

They had wind power at Hershel's Farm - it just wasn't a secure location.

Yea, they should be going door to door & car to car by now. They also should have a couple of safe houses put together. They have the concept of noise makers down, the bike wheels, but don't have any portable ones to use for quick escapes.

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post
It's possible that they do have a few "safe" houses that just haven't been mentioned on the show. They've only shown them outside the immediate environs of the prison twice this year so far - once in the opener where it was raining zombies and at the end of this episode. Neither situation provided an opportunity to go to a local "safe" house.

They also had Michonne out looking for The Governor on horseback and statements that the group has gone out regularly gathering supplies. And, they finally mentioned last episode how they've cleaned out other cellblocks as well. That likely took some time, as I would guess they armor up in the riot gear, kill zombies until they're tired and then retreat and rest (sort of like an old style D&D adventure - open the door to a room, clear it out of the monsters, then retreat to rest and heal)

I'm watching the fourth season The Walking Dead. I think very good. Maybe the best of all seasons. But in my blog particultar on The Walking Dead, I receive messages from users saying that other sites announce the death of Daryl on the show. Does anybody know if it is true? I intend to update this information in my blog (in Portuguese).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Heh. Killing Daryl would be a great way for them to lose a large chunk of their viewership. They can do horrible things to him, but not kill him.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Heh. Killing Daryl would be a great way for them to lose a large chunk of their viewership. They can do horrible things to him, but not kill him.

He was really stepping up as a leader last episode - first, he tries to break up the fight between Rick & Tyreese, and then he gives Michonne some encouragement, telling her that he's glad she's there. It would be a cruel twist of fate almost worthy of George R.R. Martin if Daryl was killed after his evolution as a character.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It would be a cruel twist of fate almost worthy of George R.R. Martin if Daryl was killed after his evolution as a character.

Yes. But the Daryl Dixon Estrogen Brigade* would be well and truly cheesed off. I am not sure the artistic value of that move would exceed the value loss of viewership. :)

*Not my term, and not intended to be disparaging - it is just the most clear term I've seen for the block of viewers under discussion.

PigKnight

First Post
Daryl dies in the last episode with ominus latin chanting playing in the background. It won't piss off anyone because the show's over, and it gets the artsy kill off loved character. Win-win.

Car Choice: People are dying, they need their meds now while they also need to conserve gas.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I think the bigger issue with the car is how a hardened survivor such as Daryl was dumb enough to take his eyes off the road for so long. It's an easy mistake to make, but it seems like he should know better. If he or anyone else had been paying attention, they could easily have stopped, turned around, and rerouted.

Also, at some point they shouldn't be able to drive anything. Gas goes bad (oxidizes) over time, and I doubt any new gas is being produced.

The other thing that bugs me about this episode is the notion that antibiotics are some huge cure. It seems uncertain to me that the disease is even bacterial (it more closely resembles real world viral infections to me). Even if it is, antibiotics really only give a boost to the immune system in most cases. Unless some of these people are able to survive by their own accord (as happens with even very bad infectious diseases), antibiotics seem unlikely to make a difference. Of course, we haven't seen anything happen with this yet, it just seems to me that Hershel's plan is unreasonably optimistic and he should know that.

The show does continue to have pace and flow and there's a lot of interesting stuff going on.

Remove ads