Throw an Object

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
In the jumping rules a 20 STR halfling and a 20 STR goliath can jump the same distance unless they are jumping for an object, so I don't see how that models throwing something very well. Instead of a halfling how far can a goliath throw a keg of beer (161 lbs.)?

You mean a super strong halfling may be able to jump on their own about as far as an equally strong goliath can toss them? Doesn't seem odd to me at all. And tossing a 161 lb keg 20 feet seems pretty awesome. For reference, the Guinness world record for a pair of men to toss a 104 lbs washing machine was just over 20 feet. Granted, a halfing is smaller than a washing machine, but half again as heavy, and you only have 1 goliath.

You can do what you want, but acting like it's silly to use the jump distances for tossing fellows is a bit harsh. In most regards, it's a benefit.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Javelin is 2 lbs, 30/120. 323 ft.
Olympic Hammer Throw: 16 lbs record 284 ft.

If you would like to introduce feats to throw further, things that would separate an Olympian from any other poor shlub, please feel free. Otherwise I think it should be quite obvious that just because someone is strong doesn't mean they are pushing up against the Olympic records.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
You mean a super strong halfling may be able to jump on their own about as far as an equally strong goliath can toss them? Doesn't seem odd to me at all. And tossing a 161 lb keg 20 feet seems pretty awesome. For reference, the Guinness world record for a pair of men to toss a 104 lbs washing machine was just over 20 feet. Granted, a halfing is smaller than a washing machine, but half again as heavy, and you only have 1 goliath.

You can do what you want, but acting like it's silly to use the jump distances for tossing fellows is a bit harsh. In most regards, it's a benefit.

Uh, what? You completely missed my point. A halfing and a goliath can jump the same distance using the current jumping rules. In no way do the jumping rules differentiate between the two races even though the goliath has the Powerful Build trait.

So the jumping rules don't seem like a good starting point to generalize throwing objects in general. It seems like using carrying capacity as the variable would make more sense as the Powerful Build trait is implicit.

So if you if you take a 100lb. object, like a halfling or a block of stone, if you take a 15 STR character then you get (15 * 30 = 450 / 900) you get a throwing distance of 4.5 ft and 9 ft respectively. At 20 STR you get (20 *30 = 600 / 1200) you get 6 and 12 feet respectively. These seem to be in line with real numbers.

It looks like the world record for throwing a person is 5.4 meters (17.7 feet). However they have the person rigged with a harness and do multiple spins before throwing.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Uh, what? You completely missed my point. A halfing and a goliath can jump the same distance using the current jumping rules. In no way do the jumping rules differentiate between the two races even though the goliath has the Powerful Build trait.

I didn't miss your point, I disagreed with it. That a big 20 STR goliath can toss a halfing as far as the 20 STR halfing can jump seems perfectly right. The difference between them being that the goliath can throw the halfling while the halfling can't throw the goliath (or, powerful build).

It's your table, so your choice. But you asked for recommendations, I gave one that was actually comsidered and sought to leverage existing rules rather than cobble together a new specific mechanic (which I don't like as it starts building unique hardcoded rules in a system designed yo avoid that). You can dislike it or ignore it, bit being rude about it seems self-defeating in the "asking for help" department.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
I didn't miss your point, I disagreed with it. That a big 20 STR goliath can toss a halfing as far as the 20 STR halfing can jump seems perfectly right. The difference between them being that the goliath can throw the halfling while the halfling can't throw the goliath (or, powerful build).

It's your table, so your choice. But you asked for recommendations, I gave one that was actually comsidered and sought to leverage existing rules rather than cobble together a new specific mechanic (which I don't like as it starts building unique hardcoded rules in a system designed yo avoid that). You can dislike it or ignore it, bit being rude about it seems self-defeating in the "asking for help" department.

A) Not being rude. Trying to understand your argument.
B) Your argument only holds for tossing a creature not an object in general, so I don't see how it would differentiate between a halfling throwing a beer keg and a goliath. Jumping rules only take account STR.

aco175

Legend
I'm always in favor of simple rules. Something like Str/5 to determine the number of 5ft squares you can throw a large object like a person. I would keep the 20/60 for smaller objects. I may also double for strong build that goliaths have. So, a person with 10 strength can throw 10ft or 2 squares. A 20 strength can throw 4 squares.

A simpler route is a number of 5ft squares per your strength modifier. This way you need at least a 12 strength to throw someone 5ft. It makes my 20 strength goliath able to throw 25ft. Double to 50 ft makes it sound a bit much. It does make it simple and allows PCs to do fantastic. It would allow them to try things and make the player want to try cool things.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'm always in favor of simple rules. Something like Str/5 to determine the number of 5ft squares you can throw a large object like a person. I would keep the 20/60 for smaller objects. I may also double for strong build that goliaths have. So, a person with 10 strength can throw 10ft or 2 squares. A 20 strength can throw 4 squares.
You, um, realize that STR/5 = #squares is essentially the same as STR in feet, just in 5' increments?

A simpler route is a number of 5ft squares per your strength modifier. This way you need at least a 12 strength to throw someone 5ft. It makes my 20 strength goliath able to throw 25ft. Double to 50 ft makes it sound a bit much. It does make it simple and allows PCs to do fantastic. It would allow them to try things and make the player want to try cool things.
That works better! ;)

Remove ads