• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tiamat Tuesdays: Maintaining Focus

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Wow, Castle Naerytar? These guys have been boning up on some very obscure Realmslore which suggests this won't be a generic product with an FR logo slapped on it.

It also means that the adventure is going to take place on the same regional map as is in the Starter Set and 4E's Neverwinter Campaign Setting. Clearly, WotC is serious about supporting the MMO.

Boarstorm

First Post
Yeah, the Sword Coast seems to be a major focus. Most of the preview adventures were even set there. It makes sense. It's among the most iconic regions in the realms, being home to a number of famous cities.

It's an easy way to draw in a number of players -- "Remember that time you guys got blasted by Halaster's shade? That was just up the coast!"

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
thanks, seems cool.

It also seems like something of a mashup of dragonlance and red hand of doom, but in an iconic realms location.

Not that is a bad thing. Necessarily.

Boarstorm

First Post
It also seems like something of a mashup of dragonlance and red hand of doom, but in an iconic realms location.

My personal preference would have been to set it on Krynn, but I'm excited to see what they've done none-the-less. (And I recognize that I'm in the minority there. My personal brand of nostalgia runs strong in the Dragonlance department. B-))

I'm looking forward to more Takhisis Tuesdays... Err... I mean, Tiamat Tuesdays.

Dausuul

Legend
It does seem like "Red Hand of Doom" writ large (well, larger), doesn't it? I hope it won't be too similar--not that "Red Hand" wasn't an incredible adventure, but my group has already played it. I don't want it to feel like a repeat.

Last edited:

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
thanks, seems cool.

Not that is a bad thing. Necessarily.

Personally, I agree. I don't think the whole Tiamat plotline feels like something that belongs in FR and this feels more like "You know how we really screwed up the 4E Scales of War adventure path? Let's try it again in 5E but contract out the work to guys who actually know how to design adventures." However, clearly Tiamat is popular with a lot of fans otherwise she wouldn't be regurgitated for the third time in three editions.

All that said, I am still interested in the adventures because I like Wolf Baur and Steve Winter's work. Even if I don't like the metaplot, I can guarantee there will be big chunks I can salvage for my own games.

Remove ads