Tomb of Horrors 3.5

Scotley

Hero
wandering_8i said:
I'ld be game, I havent played the module and only read the little bit on wikipedia. I've been out of DnD since about when 3.5 came out though, so I only have the 3.5 PHB (everything else is 3.0). I would probably play a paladin, good natured but a bit dense with a touch of paranoia. I'm open to other classes though if you wind up needing to fill a role. I'll post the characters bio in the next day or two if you'd like. Would the setting be Greyhawk? Also how exactly does the mountless paladin varation work, and what are the character generation rules?

The Mount-less Paladin is from Player's Handbook 2. Instead of gaining a special mount at 5th level you get a special variant of smite evil. If you smite evil on a charge attack you do an extra 2 points of damage per paladin level to evil creatures you smite in addition to the normal smite. Better yet, if you miss the smite is not expended.

We will be playing in Greyhawk. Let's say 9th level with a 33 point buy. Or if you want to really go old school you can roll 3d6 6 times on invisible castle. Just make it clear when you roll that you are rolling for my game and use your user name as the character name so I can see you are only making one set of rolls. If you don't like what you roll you can use the 33 point buy instead. Standard Gold for 9th level (36,000 gp). As stated previously players handbook races and classes. No prestige classes. No leadership feat. I will allow spells from ph2 and spell compendium and gear from the races of series, complete series, DMG2, magic item compendium and dungeonscape. Most feats should be from the ph, but I'll allow some from later books--just don't go overboard and don't use the Book of Exalted Deeds.

A little something about your character's background would be nice, but since this is a one-shot dungeon crawl I won't require a long detailed background. Feel free to write one if you enjoy that sort of thing. I like to create them when I play. I would like a little info about personality.

If we get more than 6 submitted characters I'll call for each player to vote via email for the 3 characters they would most like to have in the party. The 6 who get the most votes will get in. That should encourage everyone to build team-player types rather than brooding loners. You'll need to work together to survive this one. I'll reserve the right to veto any character that I feel doesn't fit the spirit of the game, or that doesn't meet the listed guidelines.

Did I leave anything out?

Scotley

Hero
Hee hee, I learned a lot of lessons like 'don't split the party' the hard way too. I really don't think we'll have a total party kill here as the 3.5 characters are considerably more durable than their first edition counterparts and the rules on traps are a lot less hazardous.

Scotley

Hero
Savage Tide looked like fun, but tough. I haven't read any of the pathfinder adventures or gamed them yet, but heard they were deadly. Ah THAC0, a marvelous improvement over having to refer to the DM screen to hit charts all the time.

Walking Dad

First Post
Hi, I'm interested. I would like to play a (deep) halfling sorcerer. If that is not old school enough, I will go with the dwarf fighter :)

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Scotley said:
Anyway, posting frequency of say every other day and rolling on invisible castle. I'm picturing a fairly short term game, maybe really short given this adventure's reputation for tpk's.
Heh. No kidding, even the conversion looks like one big tpk. I would have liked in but unfortunatily I just read the 3.5 conversion as I'm planning to throw it at my group soon. I'll be following with interest though ;) .

nick012000

First Post
Scotley said:
Hee hee, I learned a lot of lessons like 'don't split the party' the hard way too. I really don't think we'll have a total party kill here as the 3.5 characters are considerably more durable than their first edition counterparts and the rules on traps are a lot less hazardous.

Won't help us if we wander into the Sphere of Annihilation in the statue's mouth, or get hit by a bunch of Save-or-die spells.

I'm interested. Would a Wolf Totem Barbarian/Knight be okay? Also, given how he'd lose his Rage class feature from going Lawful, would taking the Barbarian variant here be okay?

J. Alexander

First Post
Awesome

I have a spiffy paladin that would work well... a stand in the breach..soaking up hit's type or may be interested in playing a druid......been ages.for one of them too...so let me see what i can come up with...

Scotley

Hero
Whoa gang read the criteria! I'm okay with a halfling sorcerer, but I'm not even sure what a deep halfling is. Knights are out too. Just players handbook 1 for races and classes. I only allowed a change to the paladin because it is dungeon crawl and the mount would be pretty useless.

Scotley

Hero
J. Alexander said:
I have a spiffy paladin that would work well... a stand in the breach..soaking up hit's type or may be interested in playing a druid......been ages.for one of them too...so let me see what i can come up with...

There has already been some interest in a Paladin, but this adventure might be okay for two. A druid is always fun.

Remove ads