• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tyranny of Dragons Panel at PAX East Today

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Am I the only one a bit disappointed we didn't get any hard info about D&D 5e at PAX?

I'm going to guess the answer is "no". :)

To be fair, about the only bit of hard info we actually still need is the release date, and there may be issues we're not aware of affecting that.

Cheers!

mhensley

First Post
I'm going to guess the answer is "no". :)

To be fair, about the only bit of hard info we actually still need is the release date, and there may be issues we're not aware of affecting that.

Cheers!

Info I'd like to have? How about:

• Product schedule for the rest of the year.
  • What's happening with Dungeon and Dragon and DDI?
  • Will there be any module that are stand alone or is everything going to be in these adventure paths?
  • What is in the basic set?
  • How long do we have to wait for the FR setting book?
  • Will there be an OGL?

fjw70

Adventurer

• Will there be any module that are stand alone or is everything going to be in these adventure paths?
  • Will there be an OGL?

Yes, all that too.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
You jest, but I have to wonder if Tyranny wasn't conceived as a Dragonlance reboot or event (the Resurrection of Takhisis) and then moved to the Realms in order to better leverage their IP and/or avoid the heavy baggage that DL carries.

I'd buy that for a dollar. The splash image of the Temple of Tiamat is so clearly the Temple of Darkness/Takhisis in Neraka that my first reaction was "What are they trying to pull, here?"

Am I the only one a bit disappointed we didn't get any hard info about D&D 5e at PAX?
I was pretty critical of it initially but I've let go of that disappointment.
Tyranny of Dragons seems like this year's Event, following in the footsteps of the Abyssal Plague, Rise of the Underdark, and the Sundering. The rest were hyped as well, but the fact this one is getting so much attention is likely because they're not ready to talk about 5e.

They had likely booked the panel and flights to PAX months ago, and had to do something at the con, but can't talk about D&D5 because they're no longer sure they can get it out at GenCon.
We're unhappy, but they're probably less happy.

• Will there be an OGL?
Plus:
  • Covers
  • Release Date
  • Price
  • Name of the edition.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Forgive the thread necromancy but I can't in good conscience create a whole new thread for this measly tidbit.

I found this while doing a routine Google news search for "Tyranny of Dragons." I noticed the phrase "Tyranny of Dragons Book 2" in the excerpt for the second result.

Alex Lucard said:
Besides the 107 page adventure, you are also getting twelve PDFs full of rules and mechanics. These are the same D&D Next rules that came with Scourge of the Sword Coast, which are from 12/1/2013. Now, the rules have slightly been modified since then, but as these rules haven’t been seen outside of the Alpha playtest group (Full candor: I am one of those and am currently working with Tyranny of Dragons Book 2 and the monster stats that go with it.), this won’t affect anyone outside that small group in the know.

http://diehardgamefan.com/2014/05/0...d-wizards-dead-in-thay-dungeons-dragons-next/

So I guess the set will likely have at least two books? And the second one will contain monster statistics? Interesting only by virtue of the almost complete radio silence about these products, I know, but interesting nonetheless.

Yeah, okay, maybe not.

Remove ads