D&D 5E Tyranny of Dragons Panel at PAX East Today

fjw70

Adventurer
Forgive the thread necromancy but I can't in good conscience create a whole new thread for this measly tidbit.

I found this while doing a routine Google news search for "Tyranny of Dragons." I noticed the phrase "Tyranny of Dragons Book 2" in the excerpt for the second result.

http://diehardgamefan.com/2014/05/0...d-wizards-dead-in-thay-dungeons-dragons-next/

So I guess the set will likely have at least two books? And the second one will contain monster statistics? Interesting only by virtue of the almost complete radio silence about these products, I know, but interesting nonetheless.

Yeah, okay, maybe not.

That is very interesting. Many of us were assuming the ToD was the basic game MM has talked about. Maybe it will be split into a basic game for book 1 that covers levels 1-10 and an expert game for book 2 that covers level 11-20, or something like that.

Nice find. Thanks.

pedr

Explorer
I must admit I was expecting Tyranny of Dragons and the Starter Set to be the same product.

Didn't something in this thread or from one of the other discussions say ToD would be stand-alone? Does that still make sense with what we know now?

Alphastream

Adventurer
I must admit I was expecting Tyranny of Dragons and the Starter Set to be the same product.

Didn't something in this thread or from one of the other discussions say ToD would be stand-alone? Does that still make sense with what we know now?

I think the majority of hints (especially in various media sites) suggested Tyranny of Dragons would be a cross-media 'event'. That's what it seems to be. A combination of storyline, adventure product (some or all 3rd-party!), perhaps Encounters, perhaps convention content (Gen Con adventures), Neverwinter MMO, and apparently more things to be announced.

I think that you can purchase just the adventures and for the most part you could have a home campaign that is, for your home group, "Tyranny of Dragons". But, you can also participate in all the other bits (or however deep you want to go) and get more out of it.

I've been impressed with what Neverwinter MMO has done. While I'm not a _huge_ MMO fan, Neverwinter MMO's Icewind Dale content adds to the depth of the Encounters program / Sundering adventure. A DM can truly take the plot of the MMO and add to the Sundering adventure to create a larger experience. It looks as if ToD will add even more (because it has more than one adventure and perhaps convention content).

fjw70

Adventurer

Well if the basic rules of the game will be available outside of the rulebooks as it sounds like then every adventure will be a stand alone product.

Remove ads