• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[UPDATE: NOW LIVE] TOME OF BEASTS Preview - A 5E Monster Book from the Kobolds!

Kobold Press is continuing its D&D 5E offerings with a new Kickstarter which is set to launch today (Monday). I'll update this article with the link when it arrives (update - it's now live), but the project is a new 5E monster book called Tome of Beasts. Kobold Press, of course, made the Tyranny of Dragons adventures for WotC. They've kindly sent along a preview of this new book - an eye golem - which is one of the more than 300 monsters in this book.

Kobold Press is continuing its D&D 5E offerings with a new Kickstarter which is set to launch today (Monday). I'll update this article with the link when it arrives (update - it's now live), but the project is a new 5E monster book called Tome of Beasts. Kobold Press, of course, made the Tyranny of Dragons adventures for WotC. They've kindly sent along a preview of this new book - an eye golem - which is one of the more than 300 monsters in this book.

[UPDATE: The Kickstarter has now launched!]

This makes the second major monster book from a third-party (Necromancer Games produced 5th Edition Foes earlier this year). Here's what I know about it so far - it's 300+ new monsters which are compiled from Kobold Press' history, full colour, and will be Kickstarted for 30 days starting Monday 5th October. They mentioned that the book would include clockwork creatures, drakes, dragons, devils, and dark fey.

There's also a Book of Lairs which features short adventures (and also starring some of these monsters), each with a large encounter map.

What else have the Kobolds produced for 5E? Aside from the two Tyranny of Dragons adventures for WotC, they've already brought us an adventure called The Raven's Call, and a pile of races and backgrounds in Midgard Heroes.

eye_golem.jpg

SaveSave

Raddu

Explorer
Fully funded and 3 stretch goals already met! We're close to hitting the first backer goal of 500! Get in there and pledge!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Right, I've pledged!

Now I just have to design a monster, have it accepted and published, and I can say I contributed to both major 3rd party monster books. :)

Cheers!

I've backed for a hard copy of the monster book and PDFs of the Lairs/Maps. Not sure where I'll end up at this stage. I may drop right down to all PDF or get all hard copies.

discoDM

Explorer
IN!

The Kobolds make awesome stuff! I jumped in for the lairs; I can really use them to fill in some of the blanks in my campaign (Tyranny of Dragons). Hard to pass up on all those monsters, so I added that in too. They already cleared 4 stretch goals (closing in on another) and a backer goal. I was in without that extra stuff, but it just keeps getting better. As an added bonus I get to support (in a very small way) the great work that Monkey King and his horde deliver. Keep it up Wolfgang!

epithet

Explorer
I'm in for the whole $90 enchilada. This looks like a great product, and I'm even more excited because of the support for virtual tabletops right from the start. They're including high-res player maps with the digital products and have VTT token packs as stretch goals... Take my money!

Monkey King

Explorer
Yep, added an adventure for all backers called Cat & Mouse, with 5E design by Greg Marks. Also announced a set of dark fey lords and ladies to add to the book.

I love adding more goodies to the rewards for backers. And there's 25 more days to go!

Remove ads

Remove ads