• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Update to Season 8 Rules

Oofta

Legend
I have no problems with the new rules, it's similar to what previous living campaigns used and consistent advancement per hour of play is simpler and hopefully an alternative to murder hobo playstyle.

I do think it's kind of funny that there's such an emphasis in 5E to not have the "magic mart" feel ... by replacing it with a "magic mart" that takes tokens instead of gold.

MiraMels

Explorer
I heard an immense outcry from a few folk when they learned they'd be losing their lightsabers, including one who said his character would literally become unplayable if he lost his sunblade, and i was so confused by that. How? How do you manage to build an entire character around one magic item, such that the character becomes irrevocably broken if they lose it? I get than downgrading to an ordinary magic rapier or longsword would suck, but - wouldn't they still be able to keep doing what they can do?

We never have to find out because the lightsabers are staying in the game. But I still can't help but wonder.

jasper

Rotten DM
Problematic Items Compensation
Dawnbringer = Sunblade or 24 treasure checkpoints
Deck of Many Things 24 treasure checkpoints
Drown Convert to Story Item or 24 treasure checkpoints
Giant-Sized Staff of Power (SKT) 24 treasure checkpoints
Hazirawn 24 treasure checkpoints
Holy Symbol of Ravenkind Convert to Story Item or 24 treasure checkpoints
Icon of Ravenloft Convert to Story Item or 24 treasure checkpoints
Ironfang Convert to Story Item or 24 treasure checkpoints
Lost Crown of Besilmer 24 treasure points
Mask of the Dragon Queen (complete or partial) Convert to Story Item or 24 treasure checkpoints
Mithral splintmail +1 Mithral splintmail or Splintmail +1
Shield Guardian (and amulet) 24 treasure checkpoints
Slaad Control Gem (any) 24 treasure checkpoints
Spell gems (all levels) 2 treasure checkpoints per maximum level of spell that the gem can hold (1 for a cantrip)
Staff of the Forgotten One 24 treasure checkpoints
Sunsword Sunblade or 24 treasure checkpoints
Tinderstrike Convert to Story Item or 24 treasure checkpoints
Waythe Convert to Story Item or 24 treasure checkpoints I loved him. I played his ego like the Orville cast.
Windvane Convert to Story Item or 24 treasure checkpoints

jasper

Rotten DM
Kiss these good bye.
• Blackrazor
• Bookmark
• Deck of Many Things
• Giant-Sized Staff of Power (SKT)
• Mithral Splintmail +1
• Ring of Winter
• Shield guardian amulet
• Slaad control gem
• Wand of Orcus
• Wave
• Whelm
• Wyrmskull Throne

I’ve seen a few of those sorts of posts, too. I get not being happy about losing a powerful magic weapon, but to say that your character is ruined? I mean, they didn’t always have that item, right? What were they doing before they had Hazirawn, Dawnbringer, or the Sunblade?

I haven’t seen that sort of gnashing of teeth since I was 12 and a rust monster ate my friend’s magic armor.

I heard an immense outcry from a few folk when they learned they'd be losing their lightsabers, including one who said his character would literally become unplayable if he lost his sunblade, and i was so confused by that. How? How do you manage to build an entire character around one magic item, such that the character becomes irrevocably broken if they lose it?

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
I’ve seen a few of those sorts of posts, too. I get not being happy about losing a powerful magic weapon, but to say that your character is ruined? I mean, they didn’t always have that item, right? What were they doing before they had Hazirawn, Dawnbringer, or the Sunblade?

I haven’t seen that sort of gnashing of teeth since I was 12 and a rust monster ate my friend’s magic armor.

I have a Rogue/Celestial Warlock that made his pact with the spirit in Dawnbringer. Still won't be too far off to assume his service included releasing the spirit and he was left with the Sunblade.

Keravath

Explorer
Kiss these good bye.
• Blackrazor
• Bookmark
• Deck of Many Things
• Giant-Sized Staff of Power (SKT)
• Mithral Splintmail +1
• Ring of Winter
• Shield guardian amulet
• Slaad control gem
• Wand of Orcus
• Wave
• Whelm
• Wyrmskull Throne

Several of these (Blackrazor, Wave, Whelm, Bookmark, Ring of Winter, Wand of Orcus) have never been legal for play in AL. The AL rules had specific guidance for most of these that if the character kept the item they would be retired from AL play.

The other "problematic" items were just a bit more powerful than expected (or were a misprint ... like mithral splintmail +1). The items which have been legal for play are being reimbursed.

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
Several of these (Blackrazor, Wave, Whelm, Bookmark, Ring of Winter, Wand of Orcus) have never been legal for play in AL. The AL rules had specific guidance for most of these that if the character kept the item they would be retired from AL play.

The other "problematic" items were just a bit more powerful than expected (or were a misprint ... like mithral splintmail +1). The items which have been legal for play are being reimbursed.
I know. But some dms let the problem children into the wild. I read stories where the pcs killed the owner of the ring of winter.

Remove ads