• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vote: The Best 2nd ed AD&D Adventures!

What are the best 2nd AD&D adventures: choose all that are worthy

• Axe of the Dwarvish Lords

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Dragon Mountain

Votes: 45 15.7%
  • Labyrinth of Madness

Votes: 29 10.1%
  • Night Below

Votes: 76 26.6%
  • A Paladin in Hell

Votes: 64 22.4%
  • Return to the Tomb of Horrors

Votes: 102 35.7%
  • Rod of Seven Parts

Votes: 74 25.9%
  • The Gates of Firestorm Peak

Votes: 48 16.8%
  • AQ: Golden Voyages

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • AQ: Assassin Mountain

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • AQ: A Dozen and One Adventures

Votes: 20 7.0%
  • AQ: Ruined Kingdoms

Votes: 23 8.0%
  • DL: Tree Lords

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • DS: Black Spine

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • DS: Dragon Crown

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • DS: Freedom!

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • FR: Doom of Dagerdale

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • FR: The Haunted Halls of Evenigstar

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • FR: Ruins of Undermountain

Votes: 83 29.0%
  • GH: Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff

Votes: 56 19.6%
  • GH: Crypt of Lyzandred the Mad

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • PS: Dead Gods

Votes: 59 20.6%
  • PS: The Great Modron March

Votes: 38 13.3%
  • PS: Hellbound

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • PS: Tales of the Infinate Staircase

Votes: 30 10.5%
  • RL: Bleak House

• RL: Feast of Goblyns

Votes: 32 11.2%
  • RL: Night of the Walking Dead

Votes: 24 8.4%
  • RL: Vecna Reborn

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • SJ: Under the Dark Fist

• 2nd ed AD&D produced no great adventures

Votes: 28 9.8%
  • Other (speak up!)

Votes: 24 8.4%

• Poll closed .

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Top ten

And the leaders are:

Return to the Tomb of Horrors 46 40.71%
A Paladin in Hell 36 31.86%
Rod of Seven Parts 35 30.97%
Night Below 32 28.32%
PS: Dead Gods 32 28.32%
FR: Ruins of Undermountain 30 26.55%
The Gates of Firestorm Peak 25 22.12%
GH: Against the Giants: 25 22.12%
PS: The Great Modron March 22 19.47%
Axe of the Dwarvish Lords 21 18.58%

With RttToH having a solid lead. In fact the Giants and the Tomb are doing well in both AD&D editidions, as is of course the Underdark

Psion

Adventurer
TerraDave said:
PS: The Great Modron March 22 19.47%

:eek:

I can't figure why anyone would vote for this one. It's NOT a good anothology, especially in the early going, which display a total lack of understanding of the concept of motivation. In the first adventures, the whole thing is about cleaning up after (or getting out of the modrons), and then later, the adventures expect you to HELP them. :confused:

loki44

Explorer
I voted for all the Al-Qadim choices and would've voted for more had they been presented. Like many, I wasn't a big fan of 2E, but the entire Al-Qadim campaign was a shining gem in that ruleset's crown. As "other" I would like to offer up most any Lankhmar module. They were all good in my opinion but if I had to pick one I'd nominate.....well, it's hard to pick one.....there were a few really good ones IMO.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Always being a sucker for good adventures, I really loved the concept of the big boxed ones. The best one of those was, hands down, The Night Below. It has a nice variety of situations and styles.

Dragon Mountain suffers a bit from its size, though. The core idea of kobolds being serious opponents for even a high level party is a bit thin for a big one.

And Rod of Seven Parts was just ... normal. The meatplot had a lot going for it, but the adventures itself were rather lame.

Huldvoll

Jan van Leyden

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Greyhawk ruins
I still steal from this from time to time - excellent dungeon ecology in one tower, tricks traps and way to many golems in the others.

Agamon

Adventurer
Huh. I played 2E for, oh...nearly it's lifetime, and I haven't actually played any of those (though I own a number of them). I think the top 10, even the top 25, 2E adventures came from Dungeon Magazine. Pretty much everything else shoveled out by TSR was crap (a couple RL adventures could be labeled 'not quite crap').

Astraldrake

First Post
Hero's Tale

I noticed there were a few choices missing. Does anyone remember A Hero's Tale? It was a series of short adventures that linked together throughout the course of a campaign. I thought it was extremely well-written.

I also notice the various Book of Lairs compilations weren't listed. IIRC, there was a FR Book of Lairs that was released for 2nd Ed. I loved all of the Book of Lairs series. My first ed copies are practically threadbare.

The Adventure Decks, chock full of good adventure hooks, would have also gotten votes from me. I used a lot of those cards and still have both decks.

Thanks for the trip down nostalgia blvd. Happy Gaming!

Remove ads