Waffles vs. Pancakes vs. French toast: Which is best?

Waffles vs. Pancakes vs. French toast: Which is best?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
All of this talk about pancakes, waffles and French Toast makes me think 5e should have included a Chef background. ;)
A know a woman who created a character who was specifically a cook who worked in a tavern and remained so gaining high level skills in hospitality (charisma), herbalism, food alchemy and knife skills. Her favourite weapon was a frying pan.
it was a fun character

To me its all about context. Waffles are just a needlessly fancy version of pancakes. If I'm at a restaurant I prefer the former, but I am very much opposed to living in a household that has reached the level of excessive consumption required to own a waffle iron (be it a separate small appliance or a stovetop contraption) simply to have their pancakes be in a fancier shape, and I also do not wish to clean such a device. So my life has been largely waffle free. But, free of all practical constraints I prefer the waffle.

French Toast often provides an important service of using up past-its-prime bread. Said utility usually gives it the win for me in the normal course of life. However I think I may prefer the others marginally on actual taste, so once again, that which is at one end of the rankings when freed of all practical constraints comes out very different when they are observed.

Vael

Legend
In the interest of spreading homemade delight, here's Alton Brown's recipe for pancakes, Metric info included:

I keep getting a 404 error, so if others have that problem, found it at a different site:

nevin

Hero
Waffles are the only answer unless they aren't there then french toast or if not them pancakes....Oh what the hell YES to ALL of the above.

MGibster

Legend
Where I live now (the D/FW Metroplex in Texas), that pairing is almost unseen. Lolo’s is literally the only place I’ve ever seen it offered regularly here.
I lived in the D/FW area for many years, graduated from Plano East, and chicken & waffles wasn't anywhere I went to on a regular basis. I can't recall ever seeing it on a menu.

MGibster

Legend
To me its all about context. Waffles are just a needlessly fancy version of pancakes. If I'm at a restaurant I prefer the former, but I am very much opposed to living in a household that has reached the level of excessive consumption required to own a waffle iron (be it a separate small appliance or a stovetop contraption) simply to have their pancakes be in a fancier shape, and I also do not wish to clean such a device. So my life has been largely waffle free. But, free of all practical constraints I prefer the waffle.
And here I am with both a waffle maker and a griddle I use almost exclusively for pancakes. I feel so fancy!

Remove ads