• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock Invocation

R1C0F3TT

First Post
My character just died (different character than my earlier post on psions), so I made a 10th lvl warlock, but I'm having problem choosing my third least invocation. I took See the Unseen and the invoction which makes my eldritch blast go 250' (I've seem to forgotten it's name).

What do you think?

Sphyre

First Post
invoction which makes my eldritch blast go 250' (I've seem to forgotten it's name).

Eldritch Spear

What do you think?

I just started playing a warlock yesterday at level one. While she's a melee warlock, I can't wait to gain Baleful Utterance at level 2. I can see so much use for that, especially since it's a ranged sunder that only has the chance of failure if it's targeting magic weapons (and at that point you don't want to necessarily destroy them because they are loot). A group of archers? Shatter their arrows with the aoe version. The fact that it can daze is just gravy.

I'd definitely suggest looking into it, and see if it's an invocation you might be interested in.

irdeggman

First Post
It's called Eldritch Spear.

I would take an essence invocation since you can add a shape and an essence to your eldritch blast at the same time.

Sickening Blast is pretty good - fort save or be sickened.

Frightful blast is likewise good if going against priamry those with low Will saves - Wil save or be shaken.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Eldritch Glaive in Dragon Magic turns your Eldritch Blast into melee reach weapon which uses melee touch attack. It evan allows you to make AoO with it.

Entropic Warding is also good, as warlocks tend to fight in ranged combat.

Dark One's Own Luck is another good invocation, too.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
It depends on what your other invocations are. Spiderwalk is an excellent least invocation and in many dungeons is almost as good as flight, but if you actually have Fell Flight, not much reason to have both.

Other fun least invocations:

Baleful Utterance: Awesomeness already explained above.
Call of the Beast: Not very powerful, but being Dr. Dolittle can be useful in the right campaign (gives Wild Empathy AND ablity to communicate with animals)
Summon Swarm: Very useful to have at will, and the fact the duration is "concentration" instead of "concentration +2 rounds" as the spell is actually a boon. If the swarm starts attacking the party, just stop concentrating and it goes away.

I also like Eldritch Glaive and Entropic Warding, mentioned above. Darkness + Devil's Sight is great in tandem, nearly useless individually.

For essences, Sickened and Shaken do the about the same mechanically. More enemies will have low will saves than fort, but more enemies will be immune to fear than sickened, so they're about even in usefulness.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Summon Swarm: Very useful to have at will, and the fact the duration is "concentration" instead of "concentration +2 rounds" as the spell is actually a boon. If the swarm starts attacking the party, just stop concentrating and it goes away.
Agreed, only drawback is DR (can't get through).
Auto hitting (swams rock because of this) and side effects of sickness or bleeding rule.

irdeggman

First Post
A good feat progression bit is to take the heritage feat chain from Complete Mage.

Depending on what alignment your warlock is determines which chain to take.

You get a +1 on CL for invocations - which is handy to overcome SR.

SolitonMan

Explorer
Depending on the focus of your character, another option that can be useful is Swimming the Styx which grants a swim speed and the ability to breathe water. I have a 10th level warlock too, and I have Swimming the Styx, Fell Flight and Flee the Scene, and the mobility is pretty useful. I also used my 6th level feat to take Extra Invocation and chose Call of the Beast, mentioned above. It makes scouting really easy, I bought a wand of charm animal (go Use Magic Device!) and so I can find out some useful info in almost any (terrestrial) situation.

irdeggman

First Post
He's a chaotic neutral teifling warlock.

You took a +1 LA race for a class that has a CL? Ouch that hurts.

You can go with either fey (nonlawful alignment) or fiendish (nongood alignment) heritage.

So go with Heritage feat - get +3 saves vs enchantment effects (Fey) or +1 to saves against spells cast by good creatures (fiendish)

Power feat - +1 CL for enchantment spells and invocations (fey) or evil spells and invocations (fiendish)

You can also go with fey skin (increase DR and stacks with warlock's class feature or fiendish resistance (acid and fire) which likewise stacks with that gained from warlock class and racial abilities.

There are a few other heritage feats that give you spell like abilities (each usable once per day) which can be useful too.

See the unseen is only partially as beneficial to a race that already has darkvision (like a tiefling).

Remember that since your PC is an outsider (native), spells (and spell-like effects) that affect humanoids will not work. Spells like Enlarge person as well as the charm person spells will be innefective.

Last edited:

Remove ads