• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Warlock, Pact of the Blade, Melee

trentonjoe

Explorer
Has anyone looked at multiclassing with a Paladin to get smite, which you can then use by burning those quick recovering Warlock spell slots?

I didn't think Warlock's spells worked like that. Because they don't use the "chart" I don't think they work like normal multiclassed casters. They wouldn't recover their Paladin spells with the warlock recovery power.

holyground

First Post
I didn't think Warlock's spells worked like that. Because they don't use the "chart" I don't think they work like normal multiclassed casters. They wouldn't recover their Paladin spells with the warlock recovery power.

While you may be correct in that the paladin slots do not recover on a short rest, the warlock slots absolutely do, and in the multiclassing section it specifically states you can use other classes spells in your warlock spell slots.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
Pact Magic under multiclassing says you can use those slots to cast the other class's spells and the other class's slots to cast Warlock spells. I assumed that would mean you could use those slots to smite, but I just double checked the wording on Smite and now have doubts.

ForumFerret

Explorer
Here's my issue:

at 1st level my melee damage is 1d10 +3, which is pretty much the same as the Eldrich Blast damage at 2nd level if I flip the STR and CHR scores.

at 12th level I can add the Cha damage to my melee attack but what about levels 2-11?

What am I missing?

You're missing the extra d10+3 damage you get to Eldritch Blast at Character level 5 and 10. ( five and ten, right folks?)

Otakkun

Explorer
Extra bolts at 5, 11 & 17.

Which means you can go dex based with crossbow expert and fare better than eldritch blasts up to level 10. Then you should switch to Eldritch Blasts in any situation. The other upside of getting crossbow expert is that you can use Elritch Blasts on melee with no disadvantage.

jgsugden

Legend
It'd be useful to have an optimization board.

The biggest problem right now in determining whether damage is comparable is lack of information. By the time that most of us advance a PC from 1 to 12, we'll have the DMG and access to more variant rules and magic items - and that may change everything. Also, the prevalence of resistances and melee/ranged specific defenses will also mess with the actual effectiveness.

Also, the party composition, DM style and abilities will have a big impact on full damage potential.

In the end, I'd just go for the design that best embodies the concept you want to play and see how the future materials treat your design.

Dausuul

Legend
Yeah, but can't convert your warlocks spells to smite right? It's "one paladin spell slot".
Divine smite is poorly worded. There's no such thing as a "paladin spell slot" any more. Unlike 3E, you don't track spell slots separately by class in 5E--if you're a multiclass paladin/wizard, you have one set of spell slots, which you can use for paladin or wizard spells as you see fit. And since neo-Vancian means you don't decide what spell goes in a slot until the moment of casting, you can't even use "What spell do you have prepared in that slot?"

The only class whose slots are tracked separately is the warlock. But even warlock slots can be used for paladin spells, so you could argue they should be usable. I'd just prepare searing smite and not worry about it. You'll average about the same damage (the ongoing damage makes up for using a d6 instead of a d8), and setting people on fire with your attacks is a very warlock thing to do. :)

Last edited:

Otakkun

Explorer
I'm wondering on Eldritch Blast. It says more beams are added as you reach higher levels ... but it never says it has to be warlock levels. Same with Thirsting Blade. It asks for 5th level.

I'm just wondering about this because I'm tempted in taking a dip into paladin at second level, or a fighter dip instead. I'm going with Crossbow Expert, so it's a tough choice.

Remove ads