• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Warlocks seem pointless

Erik42

First Post
I've been playing an elven warlock in an Adventurer's League campaign. I have to say, the warlock seems seriously limited. The lack of spell slots is significant. The Eldritch Invocations don't seem to come close to making up for the lack of spell slots. Am I missing something? Is there an upside to this class that I'm not seeing?

Warlocks are one of my favourite Classes. Admittedly, I don’t come from the angle of a tactical gamer but the roleplaying aspects are wonderful - you can now play Elric! Combine it with the Noble background and take the Diabolic patron, and you have a real cool character to play (with plenty of internal conflict from your patron). I think an Elven Knight (with the Fey Lord as a Patron) could be effective too - as they could have proficiencies in long swords and bows.

In terms of tactics, the unlimited Eldrich Blast cantrip can’t be ignored, you can get reasonable armour, fighting skills and HP. And, if you choose to focus on specific approaches to encounters with the magical effects (the invocations and spells) at your disposal you can become an effective combatant, sneak or social manipulator quite easily. I think it’s that focus that is the key - they don’t work well as jack-of-all-trades or versatile spell casters. Beyond the Bard, however, I think they make the best social manipulators in the game - great for tales of intrigue - if that is what you choose to focus on.

Is it going to be for everyone? Possibly not, but the development of the Warlock and the Bard now offer magic-using classes that offer real options away from the Wizard. Indeed, it’s only the Sorcerer that I’m unsure about - although thats largely because I’ve not really got into them.

Last edited:

brehobit

Explorer
You can build the best (AFAIK) cantrip user in the game. Even without spells, eldritch blast with the two applicable invocations (Chr to damage and 10' push) rocks. At and level 5 it really starts to be stellar (assuming the push and the +CHR damage stack on the second blast to the same target).

Tack in the random bonuses and powers you can make a very effective character.

I play a barbarian 1/ Warlock 2 in AL and I've found him to be very effective. Not better than everyone else, but really good and flexible. A pure warlock is probably overall more powerful, but less flexible.

Unwise

Adventurer
I just wanted to check that [MENTION=6782023]Erik42[/MENTION] knows that those spell slots come back with a short rest. I don't intend to be condescending there or anything, it is just that a lot of people I know did not read that bit of text.

Sacrosanct

Legend
warlocks are great for those people who want a caster but don' t want to have to manage all those spells. There is a very real niche for them

Riley37

First Post
You have to use your spell slots wisely, often on spells which benefit from overcasting (using a higher-level slot). Also, you have Hex: no attack roll, no saving throw, right?

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Warlocks are extremely powerful when short rests are plentiful, less so when short rests are far between. They play very differently to the other casters. I like them.

Erik42

First Post
I hadn't caught the part that the spell slots come back after a short rest, so thanks for that. I don't disagree that the role playing possibilities are tremendous. Also, my warlock is still just 4th level, and it sounds like some of the more desirable class features become available a bit later. However, at lower levels, this class does not seem to be on par with the others in the party, especially the fighter types and even the rogue. Thanks everyone for your input.

PnPgamer

Explorer
What heritage path have you taken?
What about the pact?
There are few invocations that are amazing: devils sight makes you able to see in normal and magical darkness as if it is day, combine it with darkness spell and you are practically invisible that doesnt come off when you attack, within the area.

Also if you have taken the book pact, the one invocation grants you ability to copy any ritual spell to your book, regardless of class. You may cast them as rituals only, but VERY useful nevertheless.
If youhave taken the pact of chain,dont worry, all those special familiars are excellent stealthers and only pseudodragon cannot turn invisible. Check out the find familiar spell, it states you can change the form of the familiar by just casting the spell again. It costs 10 gp per casting though.

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
In terms of tactics, the unlimited Eldrich Blast cantrip can’t be ignored, you can get reasonable armour, fighting skills and HP. And, if you choose to focus on specific approaches to encounters with the magical effects (the invocations and spells) at your disposal you can become an effective combatant, sneak or social manipulator quite easily.

Examples?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads