• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you doing to keep the hobby alive?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
*Shrug*
I run games.
One game, three weeks a month, is for nearly or newly teens. (Mostly kids of the gamers in my other two games.)

The kids have a good time. Some run games of their own.

Running a good game is about the best way to keep the hobby alive - if they aren't having fun then they won't pass it down.

The Auld Grump

TheClone

First Post
I don't think the hobby is dying, but it's never bad to attract more players (capitalism tells us that only growth is good).

I have a blog (a German one, see my sig) together wit ha friend. I also try to post an article for newbies every once in a while, hoping to give some solutions for problems they might have.

I rung games.

I mention my hobby every now an then, if possible.

I hope to start one or two newby groups soon. Unfortunately I don't know any FLGS that I could use as a base for those.

Festivus

First Post
Where do I start? :)

I organize a monthly meetup at our FLGS, which is open to ANY role playing game. We have one guy who has been running Ennie winning games for the past few meetups, which is freaking awesome.

I also organize the Encounters program at the same store, and any Gameday events WoTC puts on.

I am trying really hard to get more Pathfinder games to run at our game days too so that we have some more variety in terms of game systems being run.

At our meetings, I always have at least one, usually two, games that are specifically aimed at players who are new to the hobby.

We have run special "kids only" events to try and get some younger kids exposed to the hobby.

All of this leaves little time for a home game, but I do manage to play in a biweekly Pathfinder game and an occasional LFR game.

Tav_Behemoth

First Post

Festivus

First Post
I firmly believe that anything I enjoy so much should be fun for other people as well. I introduce gaming to new players, particularly women and kids who might not otherwise have an opportunity to play; I try to run fun demo games at cons and game stores; I try to make this place fun and inviting for as many people as possible.

Also, I GM with no pants on.

Kevin, the question was what are you doing to keep the hobby alive, not scare women and children away! :)

I had this crazy thought, based on something my wife does. When she walks my older son to the bus stop in the morning, she brings along a childrens book (usually scooby doo) and reads it to all the kids at the stop. She tells me that a lot of these kids, their parents are not reading to their kids at home. So being Halloween, I am going to my younger son's preschool today to read Halloween stories to the kids... and I decided that I am going to get the kids involved in acting out the story for me. Sort of a little halloween skit.

I think if we start at the root, getting kids interested in books and boardgames instead of television and video games, there will be more interest in these weird dice games down the road.

Remove ads