D&D 5E What do we want? Grognardhawk! When do we want it? Mearls!

Nagol

Unimportant
<snip>

Third, there will be no retconning of 5e races and classes into Greyhawk. We are not bringing in the Tieflings and the Dragonborn and the Aasimar and the Gnomes. No Warlocks or Sorcerers or Paladins. That's right - we are going old school with the setting.* What do you think Greyhawk is - some sort of genetic disease of Klingons that affects their foreheads? DON'T MESS WITH SUCCESS!

<snip>

Heretic! The 1983 boxed set has paladins (cf. Kingdom of Furyondy, ruler thereof for an example)! How dare you attempt to remove such a important linchpin to the setting!

Nagol

Unimportant
Ha! Furyondy was Gygaxian code for, "Don't use this." What, you think a real country would be called Furyondy?

That was in an old Dragon Magazine article- Paladins were never supposed to be a part of D&D, except that Gygax (who could do no wrong) had a "joke class" (see also, jester, accountant) in the early draft to make sure that no one copied his work.* Of course, he didn't realize that it was still included when it went to the printers.

*Much like mapmakers include fake towns.

I think I prefer Furyondy to Tenh as names go.

Every 1e class and subclass is represented including Illusionists, Assassins, Monks, Druids, Bards, and yes Paladins!

Now the precursor to the boxed set, the Greyhawk supplement for Chainmail, probably didn't include such advanced concepts (it was written in 1974, I think). But that holy document has been completely superseded by the 1983 boxed set!

Remove ads