What is Gygaxian?

Sundragon2012

First Post
tetsujin28 said:
You've managed to list just about everything I love.

I have had a bit of fun with games that had gygaxian elements, but I consider such games "beer and pretzels" gaming. Nothing wrong with that per se, but I favor games with deeper stories, internal consistancy and character development. Plus, as a DM, my time is at a premium and I am ultimately responsible for the setting I run and will not put the time into running a campaign in a "gygaxian" fashion.

But if I want to get a beer buzz, smash some orc skulls, and get some cool, glittery magical stuff I will happily play in the gygaxian fashion. ;)

Chris

Ravenknight

First Post
Staffan said:
This reminds me of a parody adventure in a Swedish gaming magazine, sometime back in the 80s: "Krugal Svylses förbannelse" (The Curse of Krugal Svylse). The adventure was for a Swedish RPG, but that's beside the point. Anyway, after going through a pretty big dungeon (especially for one that's in a gaming mag) with lots of traps and nasty opponents, the party arrrives at the treasure trove, and find... a chest with a handful of gold pieces and a note that says "Sorry, I spent all my money building this dungeon, so there's not much left."

Ah... Sinkadus... The memories... :)

Fedaric_the_Axe

First Post
Whimsical said:
silly dungeons that would have cost my character several million gp to duplicate .

Now that's a first I never heard that one before. What makes Sunless Citadel, Return to the Temple of Elmental Evil, The Forge of Fury, etc. so different in this regard?

Fedaric_the_Axe

First Post
Sundragon2012 said:
Nothing wrong with that per se, but I favor games with deeper stories, internal consistancy and character development.

Chris

Can anyone show me an RPG where this is NOT possible? If you think that this is Gygaxian then you are sorely mistaken my friend. I can have just the same amount of Charcter development in Gygaxian than I can with d20. I don't need to have a rule for this kind of activity, maybe you do but not me.

Last edited:

The Shaman

First Post
Sundragon2012 said:
Gold as prime motivator for "heroes"
It's a great motivator for adventurers, however!

Heroics is for twerps. Let me pluck the jeweled eye from a demonic statue deep in the depths of a foul dungeon anytime! ;)

Quasqueton

First Post
Gygaxian = Biblical (KJV)

To the zealots, it is perfection; it is the word of the Master. Any reinterpretation is heresy. Its weaknesses are actually strengths greater than any contemporary interpretation. Any who speak ill of it deserve burning at the stake.

(I have fallen from the faith of Gygax.)

Quasqueton

Remove ads