What is the largest animal that you think you could beat in a fight?

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
I'm from the Southeastern part of the US, so I have to ask: Does Cow-Tipping count as combat?
If so, maybe a cow (I have never been cow tipping). If not, then a medium size dog (If I am allowed blue jeans and a jacket), this one I know from personal experience. And by "beat" I mean he backed away first.

Clint_L

Hero
Unarmed? The Homo sapiens only outstanding physical traits are the big brain, endurance, and a really excellent ability to shed excess heat. So it would have to be something that I could get to run from me, and that I could track, and that would keep fleeing until it basically collapsed from heat exhaustion, so that my feeble natural weaponry could finish it.

Realistically, the lack of tracking skill would doom me against anything but a larger herbivore. We hunted when I was growing up so I wouldn’t be entirely useless, but pretty close. I’m in good shape though and run almost everyday, so at least I’m pretty confident I could outlast almost any non-human land animal if we could make it about endurance.

Humans: among the fastest animals on earth. Given a long enough race.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
My father told me about an encounter he had with a badger when he was stationed in Colorado. Him and budddy were sitting in a jeep when a badger stepped onto the road. My father and the badger locked eyes, and the badger started plodding towards the jeep in a purposeful manner. My father, a combat veteran, decided he wasn't going to find out what the badger wanted, so he started the jeep and fled.
To be fair I wouldn't want to gamble on rabies even if I was feeling fighty.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Sadly, the question isn't entirely facetious for me as I have had the misfortune of facing several animals in combat over the years...

I've killed and eaten two rats and a cat out of necessity while homeless and have twice been assaulted by turkeys over the years.
One had apparently claimed a highly trafficked public area as its territory, and felt I'd challenged it. On the off chance you ever have to defend yourself against a turkey, a couple good swift kicks to the chest area will likely dissuade the bird without hurting it too much.
The other made an ill-fated attempt to fly across a highway and ended up coming through my open driver's side window. If life were a comedy film, it would have been hilarious to see, but attempting to subdue a panicked/enraged turkey in an enclosed space while driving a vehicle at highway speed and trying to steer with my knees isn't something I wish to repeat. As far as I'm aware, the bird survived the encounter with only a few missing handfuls of feathers.

The largest animal I've unfortunately had to fight was a German shepherd/Doberman mix dog. I won through a combination of knowing the animal's preferred tactics and how to counter them, some decent reflexes, and a hell of a lot of good luck. Regretfully, there was only ever going to be one of two endings to that encounter... I'm still alive.

Does Cow-Tipping count as combat?

It is physically impossible for a single person to tip a cow, and there isn't enough room on a single side of the cow for the number of people required to be able to push it over. Plus, cows are usually very placid animals but even the most laconic of them won't stand for anyone making multiple attempts at such foolishness - if one is fortunate, the cow will simply move away. If not, the person making the attempt is going to be severely injured.
The only way to get a cow off its feet without using tools or rope is to use leverage on its head to convince it to lay down on its side like cattle ranchers do when branding them...

The Soloist

Adventurer
I've subdued a homeless punk's angry barking dog once. It was on a leash inches from me. I slapped it hard on the nose with the back of my hand. It turned quiet and didn't move as I had assert dominance over it. The Punk was shocked a 'dirty bourgeois capitalist' (according to him) could do that. I walked away.

His intimidation attempt failed. Not real combat but I felt victorious.

A medium size dog, to answer the question.

edit: The guy tried to intimidate me using his dog out of nowhere as I passed by on the street. I didn't even look at him. I was scared, acted on instinct and left the scene. I'm of slim built stature, good-looking, well dressed and sometimes I get 'chosen' by random bullies (nazi punks in this case) looking to victimize gay people. It's a thing I have lived with since I was a young boy at school. I stood my ground and stand by what I did.

Last edited:

Remove ads