D&D General What is your favorite intro module?

Vaalingrade

Legend
Due to how my group works (mostly DIY pantser DMS), Kobold Hall is the only intro adventure I've played that wasn't a starter for an adventure path.

The only designated "starter adventure" I have run is the one from Pathfinder - Falcon's Rise, or whatever it's called. Once for Pathfinder and once converted to 5e (which was better!). It was pretty good: strong hook, structure, variety of challenges. Shortness is good in a starter adventure too.

When I first played D&D (around 1982) , I created my own adventure.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Are you asking which is the best first adventure for a group of new players, or is the DM meant to be new as well?

Because I have substantially different answers depending on that.

For a new DM, stay far away from Keep on the Borderlands. I know that, in my youth, when I attempted to run it I struggled to work out what to do with the Keep after the PCs arrived, and eventually said "to hell with it" and placed them directly in the Caves of Chaos, at which point it got good.

But that's not what the adventure intends. And, much like The Village of Hommlet, Gygax doesn't really understand how to construct a home base for a new DM to run. (Hommlet, at least has lots of good ideas in the base. Even if indifferently presented).

For a new DM, give me more structure and obvious lines of play.
  • The Sunless Citadel
  • The Lost Mine of Phandelver
  • Against the Cult of Chaos (4E D&D Encounters adventure)
  • Keep on the Shadowfell. (First half).

Keep on the Shadowfell is fascinating - I adore its early play with various missions interspersed with town encounters and growth. It falls apart in the second half. However, I suspect that run with 5E or another system that plays quickly, it would work a lot better. The "each encounter takes an hour" pacing of 4E hurt how Shadowfell worked significantly.

I also have a love for The Veiled Society, which despite a mostly linear plot, introduces both the players and DM to the joys of Urban play. (I reviewed it on my site, many years ago).

Now, as to an experienced DM? I'll be running Hoard of the Dragon Queen or Keep on the Borderlands. :)

Cheers,
Merric

rredmond

unseenservant.us for PbP
The Illhiedrin Book - it's got a little town, then a small dungeon adventure, ending in a wizards tower. Definitely needs some tweaking (where is that dang Book??!!!) but definitely good fun for beginners. I used it to get the old 1e gang back together in early 2020 and we've been playing a couple times a month via Skype ever since. The small town, Tassin's Wood being their homebase now :)

The Glen

Legend
King's Festival. B11. Was designed to be an introductory module and nails it perfectly. Not just good for players but includes starter tips for new dms as well. Walks you through how to play without holding your hand.

R_J_K75

Legend
Falcon's Rise
I believe its Falcons Hollow and further detailed in the Guide to Darkmoon Vale. I ran this adventure for Pathfinder 1E and it was really fun. I liked that the setting was rather small, lots of room for the DM to improvise and wasn't overly long. Think I read the adventure in an hour or two ran the module and expanded it into a mini campaign for about 2 months, maybe 4-5 sessions and moved on.

Remove ads