D&D General What is your favorite intro module?

I believe its Falcons Hollow and further detailed in the Guide to Darkmoon Vale. I ran this adventure for Pathfinder 1E and it was really fun. I liked that the setting was rather small, lots of room for the DM to improvise and wasn't overly long. Think I read the adventure in an hour or two ran the module and expanded it into a mini campaign for about 2 months, maybe 4-5 sessions and moved on.
Yeah, that's the one. I renamed it Eagle's Rise when I shifted it to 5e, on account of it now being on a hill.

DLS1 New Beginnings

This was the module that I first ran when my 2e group started playing when I was a teenager. It's kind of an odd module, because it actually has sections designed for the player to use to help make their character but it also has some good scenarios to help learn the game and some general advice on roleplaying. The adventure itself is pretty basic; the party meets up in a tavern in a small town on the continent of Taladas just before a band of raiders attack the town. The PCs help protect the inn and then help fight back the rest of the raiders in the town. They're then asked to figure out where they came from, which leads them to some nearby ruins where they discover a note that tells the players something much larger is happening and this was just the beginning. It makes a nice starting point for a Taladas campaign.

GuyBoy

Hero
Keep on the Borderlands carries so many great memories for me, so it’s definitely my favourite intro adventure. I’ve even been running it intermittently as a “stand in” if someone is absent from our regular group.
Phandelver is great IMO: I ran it for my wife and two grandchildren and they loved it. So much so that my 13 year old grandson wanted to run his own campaign and is now DM-ing Icespire Peak, which I’m enjoying as a player.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Keep on the Borderlands
Into the Unknown
Village of Hommlet
Saltmarsh
Lost City
Lost Mines

I love intro modules, and I did not even know it!

One of the best I have played and could work well as a true intro module: NeMoren's Vault. Self-contained, in a way so that the PCs have a chance, and a traditional form that still has a great story. And there is a 5e version.

But anyways, intro modules rock!

delericho

Legend
I've had success with both "Lost Mine of Phandelver" and "The Sunless Citadel" with new players.

"The Whispering Cairn" is regarded as one of the best adventures to grace the pages of Dungeon magazine, and although it's the first part of the "Age of Worms", it should be easy enough to disentangle. Likewise "Burnt Offerings" (first part of "Rise of the Runelords"). I thought both of those might work well - though I haven't actually tried either. :)

Retros_x

Explorer
I ran Mines of Phandelver with new players, but IMO it lacks good advice for new DM in certain areas and - as I thoroughly stated in another thread - I think the setting and themes are quite a bad fantasy introduction, it feels like the most boring fantasy novel. Players still had tons of funs though, because its a TTRPG, the most boring setting can be exciting if YOU are the one that gets to play around in it.

Other than that I ran mostly random Tier 1 adventures or dungeons that grabbed my attention. If I ever get a new group with newbies I would love to try out Dragons of Stormwreck Isle, because from the skim read I gave it it seems like a really good brief introduction adventure.

Phandelver is great IMO: I ran it for my wife and two grandchildren and they loved it. So much so that my 13 year old grandson wanted to run his own campaign and is now DM-ing Icespire Peak, which I’m enjoying as a player.
Completely OT, but I love that story, its so nice to imagine to play DnD with your grandchildren and than as a player even!

Remove ads