• Hardly ever

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Never. Roleplaying is for £$%&*£’s!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am Tarquin the shady squid

Votes: 2 2.1%

rgoodbb

Adventurer
[MENTION=6956475]Michael LaPointe[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6789507]AngryTiger[/MENTION] I am interested. Is that because your group is new to D&D or is it because they think it's lame or no-one want's to be the first to do it.

Any ideas?

[MENTION=6801229]rgoodbb[/MENTION], I may have been confused by the initial question in the first place. By mentioning "Role Playing" my character, I think of it as talking in their voice and maybe even wearing clothes somewhat like they wear. We do not do that. However, if you are talking about us saying sentences like this if my character's name is Rogan:

Rogan swings on the bugbear with a longsword. He rolled a 17 to hit.

Then I would ask if that is enough to hit.

etc.

If that is what is termed as "Role Playing", then we do it. :)

Mike LaPointe

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Roleplaying is at least one third of the basic pattern of play, found under the heading “How to Play“ in the Introduction to the Basic Rules. It happens whenever the players decide what their characters do, think, or say (step 2). I, as DM, am also roleplaying whenever I determine the actions, thoughts, or speech of an NPC/monster, so it takes up time in steps 1 and 3 as well. I suppose time spent fiddling with the rules could be considered *not* roleplaying, but I think the game does a pretty good job of integrating the rules with the roleplaying itself.

This varies so much from player to player even in single groups. My Friday group has a couple players who really get into character, others who are more interesting in roleplaying as a chance to discuss their work lives with their friends. It ends up being a chaotic mix of the two, which is fine, as it's all good times regardless.

My group jumps in and out of role playing. They describe what their character does in and out of combat. When there are talky bits, they talk like their character, and I as DM talk as the npc they are having a conversation with. But there are plenty of moments where they make OC jokes, or discuss their OC theories about the plot, and plans as players.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Hmm - while the title of the poll is "Roleplaying Level" the supplied options are all about how much time during a game is spent role-playing. I would argue that it's impossible to not spend most of the time in a role-playing game, role-playing! :)

The poll title seems like it should be asking about the "theatrical level" of the role-playing?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Hmm - while the title of the poll is "Roleplaying Level" the supplied options are all about how much time during a game is spent role-playing. I would argue that it's impossible to not spend most of the time in a role-playing game, role-playing! :)

The poll title seems like it should be asking about the "theatrical level" of the role-playing?

That is indeed what I was interested in, just couldn't seem to quite find the right terminology

Remove ads