What would you spend $5,000 on?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Guitars, pedals & amps, OR getting some custom jewelry made.

(Increase my budget, and I’d do more of each, and some other stuff would be added.)

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
We might just barely be able to afford visiting our daughter before or after the class in Greece next year that she just got accepted to in addition to our long-scheduled Newfoundland trip.

Probably not, though.

So...I'd pay someone to sort through and get rid of most of our stuff, so I can enjoy the stuff remaining.

If that doesn't count...so many of the things I want now are just conveniences and practical things.

You know what? However many weekly massages for my wife and I that $5000 can buy.

GreyLord

Legend
5K USD isn't all that much today. I don't know if I could even do an International vacation on only 5K unless it was short or I was able to find some deals on items.

Tickets to East Asia (choice of where I'd want to go) appear to be in the $2000 USD range already (Depending on where you are leaving from) and that's from California. If I am coming from elsewhere (I tried a round trip from Dublin or Shannon to Tokyo and couldn't find one in the next week, maybe it's just my computer), you have to add on that cost (so another 500-800 depending on when you fly). That's just $3000 for tickets...before hotel and food costs as well as transportation.

I know something I could spend it on. Car Repairs (not so much a repair, as a revamp/remodel). New Engine may cost about that much (maybe?). Maybe a new suspension?

niklinna

satisfied?
Say you got $5,000 to spend. And say you got more than that, and you already took care of any savings, investment, or charity concerns you need to take care of. You have $5,000 to spend on fun stuff. What would you buy?
Travel to as many queer tango festivals in Europe as it would cover. Them boys can dance!

MGibster

Legend
A new dog. Preferably a senior that has been passed over at the local shelter. With savings for a few years of food and vet bills.
And whatever gifts would be required for my wife to forgive me for adopting a new dog.
Buddy approves of this post. Little guy turns 18 somewhere around November-December.

Buddy_2.JPG

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
$3000 VTI, $2000 VXUS.

The irony is with such a large sum I'd feel guilty if I didn't invest it...but it's too small for a house or car. You'd have to postulate a smaller amount I could feel comfortable blowing.

But, in all seriousness? Probably find some guy's Kickstarter that I liked that was dead in the water and finish funding.

Mad_Jack

Legend
One or more of the following:

Trip to Ireland - I'm second-gen Irish-American, but six of the nine kids in my dad's family were born there.

Complete my Ral Partha Official 2nd Ed. AD&D Miniatures collection...

Trips to the next couple of Rocky Horror conventions or Reaper Con...

Buying a decent computer and new camera...

Remove ads