• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What's not going to cost discipline points for the Monk to do now?

mellored

Legend
That is the problem and the rest of your post makes clear the extreme contrivance you are using to build a white room just to ake the ability look limited
I'm using extreme contrivance to make a pun.
It's not 5 feet, it's 5feet plus any remaining unused movement.
Yes. Making it a mini Step of the Wind.

Different from what rogues get.
Easy. The ability is designed to ensure that reversing any of the damage done 5e's efforts in service of the one true way is needlessly difficult. It does that by being a defacto disengage in all but name in order to prevent simply changing disengage in order to change how disengage works
Huh?
Yes. It's a monks defacto disengage.
Or they can spend DP to get a full Step of the Wind.

mellored

Legend
I’m not sure Cunning Action should be unique, tbh. Monk and Ranger both are held back a bit by the “need” to protect its niche.
I mean. Not going to the end of the world if they both have the same maneuvers. Casters share the same spells.

But IMO, it would be better for them to be different.
What about “a number of feet equal to your Unarmored movement bonus”?
I think that would be a bit too powerful for a level 1 at-will ability.
I’d probably fold that into Step of The Wind.
Fair.

Step of the Wind.
As a bonus action, you can move 5' without provoking an opportunity attack.
Alternatively, you can spend 1 DP, and increase the distance up to your speed.

mellored

Legend
The other thing you have to consider at high levels is the availability of magic items...or rather, the lack of them for monks.
That has been specifically mentioned.

DESIGN NOTE: MAGIC ITEMS FOR UNARMED STRIKES AND IMPROVISED WEAPONS The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide will include magic items that enhance Unarmed Strikes and Improvised Weapons. These items will support the Monk, Brawler Fighter, and College of Dance Bard, along with other characters who rely on Unarmed Strikes or Improvised Weapons.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'm using extreme contrivance to make a pun.

Yes. Making it a mini Step of the Wind.

Different from what rogues get.

Huh?
Yes. It's a monks defacto disengage.
Or they can spend DP to get a full Step of the Wind.
And you want to lower the cost by describing a scenario that requires zero remaining movement like that's a common occurrence

mellored

Legend
And you want to lower the cost by describing a scenario that requires zero remaining movement like that's a common occurrence
Don't know where your getting that from. You can split movement up before and after actions or bonus actions.

Run up 15',
action to attack,
bonus action to move back 5',
run away 15'.

Horwath

Legend
That has been specifically mentioned.

DESIGN NOTE: MAGIC ITEMS FOR UNARMED STRIKES AND IMPROVISED WEAPONS The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide will include magic items that enhance Unarmed Strikes and Improvised Weapons. These items will support the Monk, Brawler Fighter, and College of Dance Bard, along with other characters who rely on Unarmed Strikes or Improvised Weapons.
We have that from Tasha's already.

If it was me, I would make the middle catching ability free. It is already limited in many ways. I would consider a cost to make it last until the monk's next turn. You activate it with a reaction, spend a point and you and deflect and return as many missiles shot at you that turn.

You would be able to do this about one round before the archers realize that they should shoot the idiot with the lute.

Clint_L

Legend
If it was me, I would make the middle catching ability free. It is already limited in many ways. I would consider a cost to make it last until the monk's next turn. You activate it with a reaction, spend a point and you and deflect and return as many missiles shot at you that turn.

You would be able to do this about one round before the archers realize that they should shoot the idiot with the lute.
I currently have a level 8 monk. They have used deflect missiles exactly once. Yes, it should be a free reaction, though being able to spend a ki to use it more than once in a turn would be a cool ribbon ability.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I mean. Not going to the end of the world if they both have the same maneuvers. Casters share the same spells.

But IMO, it would be better for them to be different.

I think that would be a bit too powerful for a level 1 at-will ability.

Fair.

Step of the Wind.
As a bonus action, you can move 5' without provoking an opportunity attack.
Alternatively, you can spend 1 DP, and increase the distance up to your speed.
Oh I’d keep the discipline costing part identical to how it is now, and just add probably that you can 3 feet for every foot moved to move up to your Unarmored Movement speed bonus without suffering opportunity attacks. Or your way, or soemthing in that vein.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads