Which franchise of three or more works has the highest ratio of hits to misses?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Nah, it allows for an easier ability to differentiate something weak but passable fun like Colour of Magic from something sublime like Small Gods.
Even American console fanboys know there's more than one grading system in the world. The S-tier system is just an artifact of them being Japanophiles, not a superior grading system. Divorced from that context, it makes even less sense to use. (An S-tier 1960s British invasion band, for instance, is extremely silly. If you're going to import grading systems, why not use a British one at that point?)

Clint_L

Hero
Unpopular opinion on the wrong thread: The whole tier hierarchy that includes "S" at the top is stupid. It's an in-joke that should have never slopped out into wider geek culture.

Everyone should just do an A through F system.
Eh, it's too late to get the kids off your lawn. The S tier system is ingrained on the internet, and I don't see anything that makes it more stupid than A-F, anyway. It's not like that grading scale is universal, or any less arbitrary. Honestly, I think a 10 point scale is the easiest (go metric system!). However, I also think too granular a system leads to a counterproductive focus on marks rather than learning; the percentage grading system is the worst for this. For my grad school exams, there were two grades: pass and fail.

The school where I teach is IB, so we use 1-7.

An S-tier British Invasion band is clearly The Who.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
A lot of stuff was really ingrained on the internet at one point. I heard someone on the radio have to explain what AOL IM was the other day. And I can't even remember what neighborhood by GeoCities page was in (a concept that likely sounds like nonsense words to people born this century).

I suspect in 20 years, some other dumb stuff will have displaced today's dumb stuff, and aging Gen Z folks will pine for the days of wholesome entertainment like Roblox and the sanity of the S-tier grading system.

MGibster

Legend
Disagree. Covenant, in particular, is based on a faulty premise that we need to know the origins of the xenomorphs. In general, explaining stuff we don’t need explained is the bane of all prequels, but especially horror. Prometheus and especially Covenant make the preceding films worse.
I had a choice to either see Covenant or Wonder Woman in theaters and I chose the former. I chose poorly. One of the great things about Alien is that it leaves a lot of questions unanswered. What did the Company know about LV-426 before they sent the Nostromo? Why would they send the Nostromo with a crew completely unprepared for this kind of mission? Was the Space Jockey delivering a biological weapon during a time of war? Or was he just some hapless space trucker himself who picked up some cargo that was far more dangerous than he was led to believe?

Clint_L

Hero
The Godfather.
Three films, one of which is not good. That's only a 2:1 ratio - good, but not great. Though, the first two are all-timers, so that really raises the average.

If we're going prestige, I'll take Linklater's "Before" trilogy - Sunrise, Sunset, Midnight. Each of them is near perfect.

Also, just rewatched Linklater's Dazed and Confused because my kid wanted to see it. Man, it holds up. He loved it, and I think I loved it even more than I did thirty years ago.

Three films, one of which is not good. That's only a 2:1 ratio - good, but not great. Though, the first two are all-timers, so that really raises the average.
I think that Part 3 is actually pretty solid, but I agree it's eclipsed by the first two.
Also, just rewatched Linklater's Dazed and Confused because my kid wanted to see it. Man, it holds up. He loved it, and I think I loved it even more than I did thirty years ago.
It's a great movie. And McConaughey as a pathetic sexual predator in his 20s deconstructs the Fonz perfectly.

Remove ads