Which franchise of three or more works has the highest ratio of hits to misses?

I’ll nominate Bernard Cornwell’s Warlord book series (the Uhtred of Bebbanburg series), which is the basis for The Last Kingdom TV show.

There are a ton of books and they are uniformly great to excellent. Some are more exciting and plot-forward-ing than others, but even the ‘others’ are excellently written historical fiction.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I’ll nominate Bernard Cornwell’s Warlord book series (the Uhtred of Bebbanburg series), which is the basis for The Last Kingdom TV show.

There are a ton of books and they are uniformly great to excellent. Some are more exciting and plot-forward-ing than others, but even the ‘others’ are excellently written historical fiction.
You mean the Saxon chronicles. They're good, and certainly better than his Sharpe's Rifles series, but I do find they get a little formulaic. His Warlord series is the Arthurian trilogy (The Winter King, Enemy of God, and Excalibur), which is his finest work, IMO.

I've read maybe twenty of his books, and enjoy him quite a bit, but for historical fiction I don't think he comes close to O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels. Maybe the Warlord trilogy is worth putting in the same sentence with them.

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Final Fantasy is a series full of hits, and while a few are acquired tastes (FF8) or vindicated by history (FF13), they've really only dropped two absolute clunkers, and they went back and fixed one of those.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think that's probably right, although his international travel stories can be pretty fun, despite being the lightest weight Discworld books. They're definitely the most purely satirical, even later on.
Ph, fun, sure. But C or C+ fun. If the series stopped with The Light Fantastic, it would not be notable. Many of his books are S+ tier,particularly with Vines and the Witches.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Unpopular opinion on the wrong thread: The whole tier hierarchy that includes "S" at the top is stupid. It's an in-joke that should have never slopped out into wider geek culture.

Everyone should just do an A through F system.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Unpopular opinion on the wrong thread: The whole tier hierarchy that includes "S" at the top is stupid. It's an in-joke that should have never slopped out into wider geek culture.

Everyone should just do an A through F system.
It's not an in-joke, that's the actual Japanese school grading system, S down to F. It became popular because it is commonly used in video games, but that's not a joke, that's cultural diffusion.

Remove ads