Which franchise of three or more works has the highest ratio of hits to misses?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The first two (Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic) probably a 4/10? Might be worse nowadays if I revisited. There were a couple of late-period ones which disappointed me, too, and I eventually dropped the series. Despite wondrous heights like Reaper Man or Guards, Guards!, it's definitely not a .1000 batting average.
I'm in the process of going through a second lap through the Discworld series and I found the first two books, at worst, a little unambitious. But I definitely rate them much higher than 4/10, as I have no regrets about reading them at all, which I can't say for many fantasy works, many of which read like someone telling me about their D&D campaign or their Lord of the Rings fanfic.
I've bounced off Colour of Magic every time I've tried to read it. Never made it more than halfway through. Specifically because it read like a D&D campaign fanfic. I mean, he mentions the not-Fafrd fumbling his initiative in one of the early scenes.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've bounced off Colour of Magic every time I've tried to read it. Never made it more than halfway through. Specifically because it read like a D&D campaign fanfic. I mean, he mentions the not-Fafrd fumbling his initiative in one of the early scenes.
Yeah, he drops that joke by the end of the second book, maybe even the first. Equal Rites is when he starts to get more ambitious in what he's doing, although I'd say a novel or two later is where his ability catches up to his ambition.

If you want to try a single great Discworld standalone, with him near the height of his powers, try Small Gods, which is about a cleric's crisis of faith.

Last edited:

What's the worst grade you would give a Discworld novel?
The first two (Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic) probably a 4/10? Might be worse nowadays if I revisited. There were a couple of late-period ones which disappointed me, too, and I eventually dropped the series. Despite wondrous heights like Reaper Man or Guards, Guards!, it's definitely not a .1000 batting average.
I am glad I'm not the only person who just can't dig CoM. Props for what came after and very few of us are perfect right out of the gate, but I think there's a reason the series really took off after there were 3-4 books out and devoted fans saying 'stick with it, you won't be disappointed.'
Monty Python’s Flying Circus. There are a few bits that aren’t amazing but not a single stinker episode or movie or show.
fffff*-Ooh. Man. Y'know, there are some properties where I want to say they can do no wrong, but it's really hard to say that about anything sketch comedy-related. I guess I can't do it show-by-show, but when considering the show in total, there are a lot of sketches that are... filler at best? Looking at episode synopses, I notice series4, ep. 4 (computer psychiatrist interviews Hamlet; Nationwide looks at comfortable chairs; hospital workers listen to fight on radio; Mrs. Gorilla & Mrs. Non-Gorilla talk about piston engines) where I don't think any of them would convince a someone not already a fan that this was a good show. *onomatopoeia for sucking air through one's teeth, however you do this.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Yeah, he drops that joke by the end of the second book, maybe even the first. Equal Rites is when he starts to get more ambitious in what he's doing, although I'd say a novel or two later is where his ability catches up to his ambition.

If you want to try a single great Discworld standalone, with him near to the height of his powers, try Small Gods, which is about a cleric's crisis of faith.
Cool, thanks.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I am glad I'm not the only person who just can't dig CoM. Props for what came after and very few of us are perfect right out of the gate, but I think there's a reason the series really took off after there were 3-4 books out and devoted fans saying 'stick with it, you won't be disappointed.'
I don't have the attention span to stick with one book if it's not working for me, much less trudging through 3-4 novels before the series gets good.
fffff*-Ooh. Man. Y'know, there are some properties where I want to say they can do no wrong, but it's really hard to say that about anything sketch comedy-related. I guess I can't do it show-by-show, but when considering the show in total, there are a lot of sketches that are... filler at best? Looking at episode synopses, I notice series4, ep. 4 (computer psychiatrist interviews Hamlet; Nationwide looks at comfortable chairs; hospital workers listen to fight on radio; Mrs. Gorilla & Mrs. Non-Gorilla talk about piston engines) where I don't think any of them would convince a someone not already a fan that this was a good show. *onomatopoeia for sucking air through one's teeth, however you do this.
Yeah, I could see that. Even with that, it's still got to have an incredibly high batting average. And if you rope in the various Python-related projects over the years, the average climbs even higher.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
If you want to try a single great Discworld standalone, with him near the height of his powers, try Small Gods, which is about a cleric's crisis of faith.
My starting point was Wyrd Sisters, which is one of the popular entry points, along with Guards, Guard! as I recall (and a few others).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don't have the attention span to stick with one book if it's not working for me, much less trudging through 3-4 novels before the series gets good.
Yeah, life's too short for "watch this 22-episode season. It's terrible, but it's necessary because some time in the next 22 hours of content, the show gets good."

We will all die with full streaming queues and stacks of unread books. Skip the stuff that's not working for you, for sure.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My starting point was Wyrd Sisters, which is one of the popular entry points, along with Guards, Guard! as I recall (and a few others).
Those are good -- the Lancre Witches are probably my favorite thread in Discworld -- but there's light serialization with those. What happens in Small Gods appears to be literally ancient history in the rest of the books, when it comes up at all, so it's an easier way to dip one's toes in, IMO.

Remove ads