Which is better, Enchanter or a Telepath?

Which is better/more fun to play?

• Enchanter (Wizard)

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • Telepath (Psion)

Votes: 34 52.3%

Psyduck

First Post
Neck and Neck! I never thought it would be this close!

Can anyone tell me where I can find ITCK? A link would be helpful...

Is it published? What's the name of the book/mag?

zorlag

First Post
This is quite interesting poll. I voted telepath, since I like the feel better. However, enhancer is stronger in general, since he has all the perks of a dedicated wizard: Huge selection of spells which can be used freely (if you can learn it) and extra feats (which psion can get, if you use ITCK + Dragon/Mind's Eye and possibly Rpgcosmos/Athas.org as well). It would be more appropriate to compare telepath with sorcerer (maybe using Monte Cook variant from BoEM 2), specializing in enhancement spells.

Z.

Staffan

Legend
Psyduck said:
Neck and Neck! I never thought it would be this close!

Can anyone tell me where I can find ITCK? A link would be helpful...

Is it published? What's the name of the book/mag?

"If Thoughts Could Kill" is a combined adventure/supplement featuring psionics rules, written by Bruce Cordell and published by Malhavoc Press. You can find links to buy the PDF file from Monte Cook's site (www.montecook.com). The stuff from Malhavoc is eventually released in dead tree format by Sword & Sorcery, but I'm not sure if they've released ITCK yet.

Voadam

Legend
As a plundering adventurer, I think I can find more wands to use than dorjes. There are a lot more wizard things out there than psionic things. Besides, the enchanter/enchantress is a mythic archetype and turning monsters into your pawns with charm person or charm monster can be quite fun.

Jaligard

First Post
Henry said:
I Think the problem you run into here is that there are SO FEW supplements for Psions, while WotC and d20 publishers are flooding the market with pro-Magic material instead of Pro-psionic supplements.

In fact, the most useful psionic supplement for the Class wasn't even a Supplement, but the back-half of an adventure! It wasn't even a full book, just half of one! Contrast that to Magic of Faerun, Tome & Blood, Defenders of the Faith, and Masters of the Wild, which each introduce new Arcane Spells, as well as Book of Eldritch Might I and II.

I would like to point out that while there are quite a few Arcane spells in all of these supplements, there are very few Enchantment spells (at least on the Wizard list). In the books I own/have access to (all WotC class books, Magic of Faerun, FRCS, and Manual of the Planes--I'm missing Lords of Darkness and don't have any non-WotC material) there are only FIVE Enchantment spells on the Wizard list.

(If you play Living City or Living Greyhawk, four of those five spells are not allowed, being Red Wizard Forgotten Realms-only spells.)

But Enchanters do get to use other spells from other schools, so your point is valid. As for Enchantment v. Telepath abilities, I'd say they're pretty close to even in new material. If we look at it from the limited standpoint of what they're supposed to be good at (Enchanting and Telepathing), I gotta' go with the Telepath. For general use, though, the Enchanter wins hands down.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Voadam said:
As a plundering adventurer, I think I can find more wands to use than dorjes. There are a lot more wizard things out there than psionic things. Besides, the enchanter/enchantress is a mythic archetype and turning monsters into your pawns with charm person or charm monster can be quite fun.

Actually, this is more on the part of an individual DM and the campaign setting than anything else. If it is agreed that Psionics are to be part of the campaign, then you should have anywhere from a 33 to 50% chance of finding a dorje instead of a wand, or a psionic tattoo as opposed to a potion. There should be psion and psy warrior NPC's, and psionics should have its presence felt in the campaign.

BUt I do agree with one thing that many including Jaligard have said - Enchanters suffer no penalty for switching over to another discipline to be more versatile. A psion suffers when trying to use a discipline with a weak ability score, and does not have power that can scale as well as good old-fashioned direct damage spells such as magic missile or lightning bolt.

Michael Tree

First Post
Psyduck said:
Thanks for the link. It helped a bit, but I probably won't buy it online
It should be available in print starting next week, IIRC.

It's well worth the $5 for the PDF, or even the cost of the book, if you ever intend on playing a psion.

Remove ads