• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which one monstrous race would you like stats for?

BlueDrake

First Post
Kobolds and Lizardfolk are my favorite, but I don't think we need official stats for them. Races are easy to homebrew, unlike classes which can screw up balance pretty quickly.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Lizardmen
Warforged (Looking forward to the final official write up.)
Pixies
Gargoyles (the 4e ones look awesome IMO)
A plant race solely so I can create a plant-man monk named Broc Lee.

This is just me, but I don't see the need for new lizardfolk stats.

Take dragonborn. Make the breath weapon a poison spittle. Give them resistance based on the environment they come from. Change the flavor/description. Boom, you have workable lizardfolk. :)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
There was just SOMEthing about the lizardmen alts in the 3e MM3 that appealed to me. Little poison-spitting fella and the large blackscale lizardman... not sure what but I really liked them.

I am really shocked at all of the lizardman love, though. Dragonborn - breath weapon = lizardman to me. Shrink to Small = Kobold.

Also, where the Grippli at?

Tony Vargas

Legend
I liked Kobold PCs since 3e, that's something that'd tempt me to build a character. Pixies in 4e were amazingly less broken & more fun than I expected (still broken, though) but IDK if they'd fit 5e (I'd expect a 5e pixie to do classic 1e pixie stuff, like turn visible at will, that'd be out of bounds for a PC) Sprites, maybe, instead. I did like Deva better than Assimar, but they're prettymuch fungible, one or the other's fine. Warforged, yes, robots have become a staple of D&D. ;)

Wik

First Post
Personally, I'd like to see stats for various real-world human analogies. Not even "Stats", per se, but just write-ups on Celts, Carthaginians, Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, etc. And I don't necessarily mean "mythology", which seems to be about as far as most books take things. I want names, culturally-specific rule tweaks, weird facts... the whole shebang.

If we're talking monsters, though... it's a tough question. There are so many good ones! I'll have to go with "Thri-Kreen", simply because I love Dark Sun and it's one of the harder races to convert on your own. "Half-Giant" would also work for the same reason.

Greg K

Legend
This is just me, but I don't see the need for new lizardfolk stats.

Take dragonborn. Make the breath weapon a poison spittle. Give them resistance based on the environment they come from. Change the flavor/description. Boom, you have workable lizardfolk. :)

Mouse,
I usually agree with you, but that only works if you think Lizardmen should have some kind of breath/spittle attack. It is not what I want. I want something more along the lines of Mayfair Games's Lizardmen for 2e (Kobold Press's Lizard Folk supplement for its Midgard setting also seems to be along the line of what I am looking for based on the preview).

Last edited:

Remove ads