• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[White Wolf] Demon: the Fallen

Gez

First Post
Undead Pete said:
It sounds cool, but then we already have In Nomine (a damn cool game, I might add), and isn't there a German game name Engel that's coming out, too?

Maybe they're different, but it seems like too many games for a very narrow niche

White Wolf will translate and publish Engel. It will not be in the overcrowded WoD.

In Nomine is a bit of an oddity. Still, it's much more serious than its inspiration, In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas, a French game published by Asmodée and created by "ze Siroz dream team" (I've heard there was rumor that their Bloodlust game had also been adapted to English-speaking markets). INS/MV is an overtly parodical, humoristical game. With lots of blood, violence, beer, self-derisive humor, and general silliness.

Highly irreverencious, but it can not be taken, even with much hard work, to the first degree.

It's hard to sum up INS/MV quickly, but it's light-years away from anything White Wolf may produce.

Mercule

Adventurer
Tsyr said:
Curious: Are you familiar with "The End"? I'm curious what other Christians think about that one... I like it, and don't think it's crossing the line, though it does (admittedly, too) use some very... strange... things... for lack of a better way to say it.

It kinda tickles something in my brain regarding post-modern/post-apocalyptic game involving alien invasion, supernatural threats, and other oddities. I'm not sure if that's the right game or not.

Even if I got it right, I just did a full brain dump on the matter.

Skade

Explorer
Zappo said:
The Storyteller system converts poorly to D20 and vice-versa. To do it properly, you'd have to remake it from scratch, and it's too much hassle for something you wouldn't be able to sell.

(IMO, that's because ST has a fine granularity right where D20 has a broad granularity (ST's XP versus D20's levels), and ST has a broad granularity right where D20 has a fine granularity (ST's 1-to-5 traits and 4-to-9 difficulties versus D20's 1+ stats and 5+ difficulties). As always in these cases, like when you convert between widely different sound formats without proper precautions, the result will likely incorporate most flaws of both systems and few of the merits)

It could be done, however. AEG's original Legend of the five rings game uses very similar mechanics, and although I still prefer the original, the d20 version is not so bad.

Henry

Autoexreginated
After the quick round of offense and apology, I have to say that I'm glad that that issue was resolved. That said, even though it's a D&D centered board, let's try to avoid any future White Wolf bashes in genral? Thanks, all.

With regard to D:tF, I'm personally going to have to pass on this one. Even if I found the concept intriguing, I have too many reservations about the subject matter to delve into it. I can't quite bring myself to play a Demon or Devil as a protagonist - call it a character flaw.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Actually, Tom's right. You can't copyright a title, but you can trademark it. And most trademarks are vigorously defended by the companies that make them money.

Interesting aside - I think the time is right on television for a new "A-Team" - what does anyone else thinK? I think I'll post a thread on that in the "TV" forum.

Mytholder

Gez said:

Still, it's much more serious than its inspiration, In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas, a French game published by Asmodée and created by "ze Siroz dream team" (I've heard there was rumor that their Bloodlust game had also been adapted to English-speaking markets).

An English edition of Bloodlust is (very slowly) in development over at Hogshead.

And I'll throw in a shameless plug for Nobilis, the God Game of God Games. ;-)

shadow

First Post
Somehow I think that White Wolf really crossed the line with Demon:the Fallen. To me, as a Christian, a game focusing on the forces of evil is just in bad taste. IMHO it's irrelevant if the subjects in the game were handled "in a mature fashion", I just don't think this game should have been done at all. I know that White Wolf prides itself with mature games. If people want to play dark and gritty games, that's fine, but the demonism is a subject that I won't touch with a 10' pole.
I know that games like D&D probably don't provide the most moral system (killing things and taking their loot), but demons as PCs is where I draw the line. I daresay that I feel the game can promote an unhealthy obsession with the demonic. In the CS Lewis' Screwtape Letters, there is a warning about getting too fascinated with the dark and demonic. (I don't have the book with me so I don't know the exact quote.)

Remove ads