Who’s a Sopranos fan?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Yes.

I don’t know how you can be a fan of quality TV and NOT be a fan of the Sopranos.

While there are other shows I have liked more, and even other performances that are close to Gandolfini’s, I don’t think any other show combines quality and importance like this one.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
The chemistry between Gandolfini and Lorraine Bracco in the therapy scenes is wonderful. The whole cast is pretty amazing too.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Ha! I was thinking of starting a Sopranos thread!

I'm watching it for the first time. Season 1 was basically flawless. Season 2 was weird, almost Twin Peaks-ish... But I really liked it! I'm at the beginning of Season 3 now. I loved the wacky FBI hijinks of the first episode.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I was just thinking about one of my favorite scenes is where Tony gets told by a NY boss that, "The Don dont wear shorts". Tony's reaction is priceless. Essentially, he is being told to maintain a level of prestige and respect that his title expects. IT's also a dig from the NY families that see the New Jersey family as beneath them. These little nuances and scenes are so expertly executed throughout the series.

There is a Talking Sopranos podcast with Michael Imperioli (Christopher Maltsonti) and Steve Schirripa (Bobbie Boccola) where they talk about filming the series and some behind the scenes stories. One is about a strange middle of the night phone call James Gandolfini received. Some person, some how, got Gandolfini's phone number and called him in the middle of the night. All the person said was, "...The Don dont wear shorts..." and hung up. Gandolfini told Chase about it and they decided to write into the show. That little tid bit just makes the scene a whole other level of greatness.

Not only the show that started so-called prestige TV, the golden age of TV, etc., but still one of the absolute bests. Never gives you exactly what you want, and generally something much better.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was just thinking about one of my favorite scenes is where Tony gets told by a NY boss that, "The Don dont wear shorts". Tony's reaction is priceless. Essentially, he is being told to maintain a level of prestige and respect that his title expects. IT's also a dig from the NY families that see the New Jersey family as beneath them. These little nuances and scenes are so expertly executed throughout the series.

There is a Talking Sopranos podcast with Michael Imperioli (Christopher Maltsonti) and Steve Schirripa (Bobbie Boccola) where they talk about filming the series and some behind the scenes stories. One is about a strange middle of the night phone call James Gandolfini received. Some person, some how, got Gandolfini's phone number and called him in the middle of the night. All the person said was, "...The Don dont wear shorts..." and hung up. Gandolfini told Chase about it and they decided to write into the show. That little tid bit just makes the scene a whole other level of greatness.
Yeah the podcast is accompanying my rewatch. Slows it down though as they’re twice as along as the actual episodes!

Remove ads